98 FL70 with 3126 cat 300hp and 7spd

lorendiesel5.9

OG Hunnybadger
What's the reliability of this combo? Over the road regional car carrier pulling a 4 car trailer

3126 is JUNK... NO BALLS, HEUI system...

A good running 5.9L will run with it any day of the week with similar weights...find something with an 8.3L Cummins or bigger, or a DT466 even. Still HEUI, but at least they have some nuts

Chris

Right now I'm running. A t444e with only 175 hp so something with 300 hp surely would be better

Im going to have to agree, the 3126 is junk. Some people have good luck with them, most dont. I would stick to an 8.3.
A 5.9 will work but I would lean to something with a little more cubic inches...

if you wanted to go a little newer you could find one with a C-7, those seem to do pretty good. the 3126 is a huge pile though, i'd stay away from it at all costs

if you wanted to go a little newer you could find one with a C-7, those seem to do pretty good. the 3126 is a huge pile though, i'd stay away from it at all costs

If it's still HEUI, steer clear;)

Here's another option for a good runner...newer FL M2 with the Mercedes MBE900 engine...GOOD RUNNING engine!
Chris

I thot the 3126's have MEUI injection?

Nope...HEUI borrowed from IH...JUNK!!!

At least IH kept trying to make it better...

The one we have is in an FL80, 210hp (with a TS box), weighs 22K empty with our trailer, and hauls loads up to about 55Klbs gross. Loaded to similar gross weights, my 95 will flat out eat it for lunch pulling, and the only thing better about the FL80 is the brakes. One of these days, I'll be dropping a 330hp M11 Cummins in there, and have a real truck finally!

Chris

If it's still HEUI, steer clear;)

Here's another option for a good runner...newer FL M2 with the Mercedes MBE900 engine...GOOD RUNNING engine!
Chris

i dont think they are, i think they use the same injection system as the C12 and C15's, but i dont know cats very well so cant say for sure

3126's were HEUI's systems. I've had good luck with my 3116 but I know I'm one of the few. I will say you'll like an ISC or ISM better though and they have more longevity. I'm not sure what weight you'll be grossing but if its gonna be 54k or above (which I'm guessing its not) I'd go with a single axle tractor, something with an ISM, C-10, C-12, or C-13. Bigger engine doin less work is better for everything. And you're not talking about alot of fuel mileage difference.

im not saying it does make it better i honesly dont think any of cat engines are all the great. theirs really nothin wrong with the heui system its not great for performance but other then that theirs nothin wrong with them. the dt466e has a heui system its a good engine.

If people would change their oil there's nothing wrong with HEUI. Like Stang789 said, the system isn't great for performance but well maintained they'll last a long time. The HEUI high pressure pump is more reliable than the VP44 but people still buy that turd.:hehe:

I can't believe no one has thrown out the "Throw away motor" line. Don't get me wrong, little motors are not Cat's best work but it's funny when people say the 3126 or C7 is a throw away motor (just like the 5.9 Cummins and every gas motor ever made). Which doesn't mean anything other than unlike the DT466, 8.3 Cummins or larger motors their not wet sleeved and cannot be rebuilt in frame.

3126 is JUNK... NO BALLS, HEUI system...

A good running 5.9L will run with it any day of the week with similar weights...find something with an 8.3L Cummins or bigger, or a DT466 even. Still HEUI, but at least they have some nuts

Chris

Funny, I was sure I told him the same thing a few months ago! LOL

im not saying it does make it better i honesly dont think any of cat engines are all the great. theirs really nothin wrong with the heui system its not great for performance but other then that theirs nothin wrong with them. the dt466e has a heui system its a good engine.

Other than the injectors are high as giraffe tang, don't start for chit in cold weather, and generally has a higher cost of ownership than most other injection systems used in Medium Duty trucks.

If people would change their oil there's nothing wrong with HEUI. Like Stang789 said, the system isn't great for performance but well maintained they'll last a long time. The HEUI high pressure pump is more reliable than the VP44 but people still buy that turd.:hehe:

I can't believe no one has thrown out the "Throw away motor" line. Don't get me wrong, little motors are not Cat's best work but it's funny when people say the 3126 or C7 is a throw away motor (just like the 5.9 Cummins and every gas motor ever made). Which doesn't mean anything other than unlike the DT466, 8.3 Cummins or larger motors their not wet sleeved and cannot be rebuilt in frame.

Yep, VP44's are junk too, but at least they have some decent power and driveablity before they puke. AS for being throw aways, not true in the least...I highly doubt they make enough power to every break anything structural, and to hear one out you'd have to be able to actually use the thing for something other than driving around empty. The 3208 was a throwaway, because usually, there wasn't enough left to overhaul and make it live.

Funny, I was sure I told him the same thing a few months ago! LOL

Hmm...must be something to it.

I bought the truck because of our luck with CAT's in every other big truck we've owned since 1984...I figured it would at least run right...boy was I wrong.

One day you can drive this pile and run 70mph anytime you want with 60K behind you...the next time you start it up, you might only be able to get 55mph with the empty trailer. No codes thrown. All I'm looking for is consistency...I know it will run sometimes, but other's it won't. I have an ISC340, the M11-330, and a SisuDiesel 8.4L 255hp engine that would all fit quite nicely when we finally find time to do it...I'll have a 3126 for sale then...

JMHO,
Chris

AS for being throw aways, not true in the least...I highly doubt they make enough power to every break anything structural, and to hear one out you'd have to be able to actually use the thing for something other than driving around empty. The 3208 was a throwaway, because usually, there wasn't enough left to overhaul and make it live.
JMHO,
Chris
Oh I didn't say they were throw away, that's just the usual line people throw out.

Hmm...must be something to it.

I bought the truck because of our luck with CAT's in every other big truck we've owned since 1984...I figured it would at least run right...boy was I wrong.

One day you can drive this pile and run 70mph anytime you want with 60K behind you...the next time you start it up, you might only be able to get 55mph with the empty trailer. No codes thrown. All I'm looking for is consistency...I know it will run sometimes, but other's it won't. I have an ISC340, the M11-330, and a SisuDiesel 8.4L 255hp engine that would all fit quite nicely when we finally find time to do it...I'll have a 3126 for sale then...

JMHO,
Chris

Put some Rev-X in it...then it might run like a scared bisch all the time!

Put some Rev-X in it...then it might run like a scared bisch all the time!

You really think so??

After throwing in the DDP3's and a new charger on the old 95 last night, the CAT's gonna need more help than that...:D

Chris

Back