99 FL60 mutt/conversion/repower project build

I've had a 12valve head cracked like that repaired by welding. If the welder knows what he's doing it will hold and not be a problem. I'm still running that same head, been years ago it was fixed.

Weld that back to the head, and deck the manifold surface.

I think there's two different 12v C Heads, and if yours is the later/truck one I probably have one here I can't use. But we've had 2 or 3 of those crack like that, always welded them back together.

Chris

Weld that back to the head, and deck the manifold surface.

I think there's two different 12v C Heads, and if yours is the later/truck one I probably have one here I can't use. But we've had 2 or 3 of those crack like that, always welded them back together.

Chris

Friend has used these guys. Said they can fix about anything. New and Remanufactured Diesel Cylinder Heads, Blocks, Rods and Castings

Although we got a Cat head shipped from them by a customer the other day and it’s the Asian special so......

seams china has taken over the 8.3 stuff for new heads..... GRRR
cummins bridgway said3200.00 but did not mention if that was whole sale or list price but currently no lead time right now

seams china has taken over the 8.3 stuff for new heads..... GRRR

cummins bridgway said3200.00 but did not mention if that was whole sale or list price but currently no lead time right now

Quality is secondary anymore. Everyone price shops.

Only options are to fix what you have, buy used, or new china. I've used new China, but not enough time to know. I figure it will blow at least on HG before the Chinese head is junk, it's an 8.3L after all.

Chris

Only options are to fix what you have, buy used, or new china. I've used new China, but not enough time to know. I figure it will blow at least on HG before the Chinese head is junk, it's an 8.3L after all.

Chris

Did find a company that gets Japan casting with Mcb components installed for ~1700.00

Now I wait for parts, seams majority of the stuff shows up Thursday, clutch gaskets
28514685_10214302371486744_22558404550565454_o.jpg

Had a guy make a spacer to move the fan forward 1.25" or so... And fix the AC clutch fan blade interference issue..shown here..
23331348_10213364665164672_6655250478168225250_o.jpg

Found I twisted the one peice driveshaft about 15° .. dropped everything off to make a 2 peice..
Gues it's making some horse torques factory was 1 peice... Kinda glad I found out this way vs on a hill

Post a pic, I wanna see that.

Didn't think about... Tube hadn't start to wrinkle.. at Least my untrained eye couldn't spot any at a glance... Only thing noticeable was the yokes where out of phase.. just barely.. Driveline guy spotted it as soon as I
Opened the doors on my suburban to get it..

donor fl70 truck had a OEM 2 peice dropped the front section off as well to get cut too length...

Been researching clutches.. while I was waiting on parts...
Seams I have a stamp angle spring style...

Found they make a 14" easy pedal style... Haven't figured out if I can convert everything over to easy pedal

Haven't really looked to see if I can swap from a #2 to a #1 bell housing and run a 15.5" clutch yet...

What happened, From the twisted drive shaft?

retainer holding the T/O bearing to the shaft broke... commonly on MD/HD clutches, you pull the T/O bearing away from the flywheel to disengage VS regular p/u you push the T/O bearing towards the flywheel

twisted driveshaft was from too much HP/TQ for a single piece 75" long.. 4"x.120 wall tube. driveline shop said I was pushing the limits at that length, he was right.. currently its at the driveling shop being made into a 2 piece with 1 carrier bearing..
figure I'm pushing 300hp at the tires.. according to grade speed and weight...

both issues are unrelated to each other. though I'm kinda glad it happened this way... making a 2 piece on the road would make for a lot of carnage

Last edited:
chris
does 37/110/148 tq sequence sound right for head bolts?
print date for said manual is 1986 figured I check to see if that is still current

Last edited:
I don’t personally like that big of jumps. Just my personal opinion on the matter though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I can break it down farther, chris got me fresh bolts to go it as well as a gasket kit.. figured id ask to make sure tq spec had not been updated

Back