A few nitrous Questions?

9812VCTD

Numbers
I reacently purchased a used Edelbrock nitrous kit from a member. It has 3 jets 50,75,100, and a single solenoid. Iwas wondering where the best place would be to put the fan nozzle? I've seen some do it in the intake tube and some in the intake maniford? What are the pro's and con's of both spots? It came with the micro switch is this O.K. to run with a 5 speed?
I mostly plan on using the nitrous at dyno events. Any other advice with this I plan on getting headstuds soon but I noticed at our last dyno event that there were a couple guys spraying with out studs are they pushin it?

Thanks for any help,
Justin

Here's a pic of everything I got.

100_1749.jpg

Justin

If thats your daily driver i would recomend getting some studs and o'rings before sprayin or she might let go when your really not wanting the truck to be down for a couple days, those guys without at least studs are pushin it.

I am spraying in the intake. and am using two nozzles, one 62 and one 78. I used to use mine for its cooling purposes but now I have twins and its just for a little extra snort. I popped a head gasket with studs, I dont know if it was the nitrous or the over working of my turbo since they were both going on. I would recommend studs.

Whats the other solenoid in the pic, a purge?

dodge359 said:
I am spraying in the intake. and am using two nozzles, one 62 and one 78. I used to use mine for its cooling purposes but now I have twins and its just for a little extra snort. I popped a head gasket with studs, I dont know if it was the nitrous or the over working of my turbo since they were both going on. I would recommend studs.

Whats the other solenoid in the pic, a purge?

This was a wet/dry kit so the other solenoid was for a gas application. It sounds like I should atleat get the headstuds before messing with this.

So is the best place to inject it in the intake manifold?

Justin

9812VCTD said:
So is the best place to inject it in the intake manifold?

The best place is pre-intercooler. I like to drill and tap the elbow that attaches to the turbo. It is stout enough that no additional support of the nozzle is required.

Doug

Why is that? Is it because it has a better chance to distribute evenly and cool the intake charge down more? I'm still up in the air on whether or not I'm gonna do twins or a single and nitrous.

I can't give an exact reason but I can say it does make a difference in HP. We are able to run a larger charge on nitrous and bring it in earlier. On a heavily fueled truck I have seen the difference be almost 100 RWHP.

A 100rwhp difference between pre intercooler and post intercooler? Dang. That's pretty significant.

It was on a heavily fueled 12v truck.... with additional nitrous and getting it in earlier a much higher number was obtained. This was same truck same day type of testing.

Jetpilot said:
The best place is pre-intercooler. I like to drill and tap the elbow that attaches to the turbo. It is stout enough that no additional support of the nozzle is required.

Doug

I am currently spraying at the intake but I will switch if it helps hp. Where are you drilling, right into the passenger side of the i/c?

Nos sounds like fun but it can be expencive. Start small and work your way up.

dodge359 said:
I am currently spraying at the intake but I will switch if it helps hp. Where are you drilling, right into the passenger side of the i/c?

If I'm correct, doug is talking about the elbow coming immediately off of the turbo that goes in to the first intercooler boot.

I dont know nothtin about nothin but doesnt nitrous expand alot? If you spray at the turbo wouldnt that cause a lot of back pressure on the turbo?

Jetpilot said:
On a heavily fueled truck I have seen the difference be almost 100 RWHP.

Was the 100hp difference done with the same amount of nitrous, the only thing being different is where it was injected?

rockjeep73 said:
Was the 100hp difference done with the same amount of nitrous, the only thing being different is where it was injected?

No, The truck was able to handle a larger dose of nitrous in this location than the air horn.