A little TDI fun

CookCR

A friend of mine from New Hamshire recently purchased a 2013 Jetta TDI after I told him how much I like mine. With only 1,000 miles on his ticker he pulled the DPF, sent it to me via UPS, and got a plane ticket for a visit. Well yesterday he used his DPF to fabricate a delete pipe for both of our cars, and installed one on mine. The car is sitting in the yard while our two ECU's get sent to Malone so he can work his magic and help us pick up a few ponies. I have 25K miles on mine already, and have probably kept a log of about 75% of my fuel ups/millage. As of right now my overall average is 45.8MPG (winter fuel seems to have dropped me a bit, as well as warm ups). With any luck I'll have the ECU back by Friday! I'll report back then...

Here you can see the worthless junk installed by the factory, it's all pretty heavy. All in all I probably saved 30lbs.
IMG_2811_zps6ce65e8c.jpg

IMG_2810_zpsf137fed4.jpg

The new delete pipe. The two companies that sell the delete pipes both charge about 600 bucks just for the downpipe... There is no way I'm paying 600 bones for a downpipe!! I didn't fabricate it but my buddy said it was a pretty easy job, took him about two hours to get two of them finished.

IMG_2812_zps564a5f57.jpg

Nice job. EPA will be after Malone once they get a whiff of things.

Unfortunately your probably right. They are a Canadian company, though.

Walley at FTE Diesel is also doing some TDI stuff i believe. He has always treated me good. Pretty sure he is righting some pcms or tcms, cant remember.

Yep, he sure is. My brother knows Walley and has spoken with him quite a few times. He has a sport wagon IIRC...wish I would have purchased one!

What size pipe did yall use? I think my father in law is getting a pipe bender and I have considered doing the same thing.

09 F250
05 F250
91 D250
13 VW TDI
08 BF650SRA

Well since I made that post I've put 50K miles on the car! Not a single problem with the car, most reliable vehicle I've owned. I picked up 3mpg, usually average around 48.5, but have gotten as high as 51.9. The car sounds great, and runs MUCH better then before.

It makes it so much more enjoyable, you will be very surprised. I don't know if your is a stick, but mine is. Before 6th gear could only really be used to maintain a steady speed, now it has enough balls to pass with it. That and it sounds pretty darn good. I really like it because I can generally make it to and from work on one tank of fuel if the conditions are right, before I never could. I will try and borrow my co-workers go pro and get some videos for you all.

I'd like to see how it sounds. I'm dying to get mine done.

Missing my 6.4.

Ours is a DSG. Not really wanting to push the transmission that hard on it, but gaining power and losing the EPA stuff would be nice.

What year is yours Brandon? I'm thinking about buying a used one 2012 - 2013 Jetta

Ours is a 2009. I think it's the first model year of the CR TDI. It's got balls compared to the earlier models of VW diesels. Now that the fun has worn off, we average between 38-42mpg with the DSG auto.

Back