A milled titanium holset wheel that doesn't exist?

BramanteCummins

ADD maniac
Hey guys, just bought a turbo and had this surprise in it. Holset says they never made this wheel in that turbo, here's the part number on the back and the turbo tag. Trying to get an idea of what it's worth, I believe it's titanium.

nega3ybe.jpg

ta7aqyra.jpg

Next to an he551v wheel
hyzysu3y.jpg

The smaller Ti wheel weighs 1.66oz (68mm inducer, smaller core, larger bore, lower blade count)

The aluminum one is 1.06oz (71mm, larger core, smaller bore, higher blade count)

vydarazy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Is the right one is Titanium then holset needs to look harder. This turbo was a takeoff from a Volvo. The 551's I thought only had a 65 or 71.25 compressor. This being 68 as I said before. How do I always end up with oddballs haha

Is the right one is Titanium then holset needs to look harder. This turbo was a takeoff from a Volvo. The 551's I thought only had a 65 or 71.25 compressor. This being 68 as I said before. How do I always end up with oddballs haha

Probably from the way you sit in the pews at Church.

Volvo uses many specialsized compressor wheels, Garrett or Holset. Titanium wheels are used in citybuses and other high stress applications.

Fatigue resistance is one of Ti wheels' specialty....buses, garbage trucks, etc.

I had a conversation the other day about a certain Ti wheel and the engineering answer was, the aero was the exact same thing on the Ti and Al, so equivalent output. That being said, Ti may survive overspeed better (within certain limits of course).

One of the reasons that wheel "doesnt exist" is that the OEM parts database is often excluded / different from the common open-to-everyone parts database. For example, you can't typically go to Garrett and buy parts or turbos specifically made for Cat or Detroit. Separate part of the business. In this case you have a Volvo specific part that Holset isn't going to make available to the public.

Always fun to go junkyarding though!

Last edited:
I had a conversation the other day about a certain Ti wheel and the engineering answer was, the aero was the exact same thing on the Ti and Al, so equivalent output.

Ti or Al, cast or MFS, Holsets are always the same aero.