Adding 3rd axle to Tandem dually goosneck.

deerefanatic

Always learnin...
Here's the scoop: 40' straight deck, tandem duals on dexter 10k axles with slipper springs. Trailer weighs around 10k empty.

Trailer construction appears to be 14" I beam. I'm thinking of putting an air-lift tag axle in front of the duals with shorter 10 ply tires (245/75/16 or similar) to take some extra weight. This would have been the difference between 16 round bales and 24 on the last load I hauled...

I have no doubt that the trailer frame can take it. My question is, will DOT care if I have a "20k" trailer (MFG companies name plate) that is plated for 26k with enough axle and tire to legally haul 26k? I'm ordering my plates tomorrow and I for one don't feel like paying $475 for 26k plates if adding the 3rd axle won't allow me any more payload capacity legally than a $356 20k plate.

If you need the other 6k get it they go by axles so 3 would give you 30k which is a great cushion. Just carry the axle spec sheet if they ever call you on it!

I've got a 1 ton truck axle that I'm going to cut the pumpkin out of and extend.. Plan to run duals on it (215/85/16 so that I can lift em and get em off the ground.... Rest of trailer is 235/85/16), but only plate the trailer for 26k. Should be plenty of cushion. :)

Got off the phone with state police and they said as long as the tire capacity is there and the plate capacity is there, they don't care. :D And this was the cops at the local scale...

I'm also looking at going full air ride at the same time...

Last edited: