Adjustable cam gears- who has broke one?

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
I've been hearing lately that the adjustable cam gears like kenny's are shearing the small alignment bolt and the other larger bolts do no have enough grip to stop the gear from turning and thus changing the cam timing...which would make for a bad day if you are a valve or piston.

Just wondering how many have seen this happen and if that is a major concern or if one could upgrade the fasteners with some internal tooth lock washers to help the 6 larger bolts clamp the gear to the hub.

Try loctite the toothed washers are only marginal better then a spring washer nut will allow the bolt to work itself out.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

There is no washer on it now I believe, so any type of lock washer would be better...the problem isnt the screws backing out, its getting a good clamp on the gear to the hub so that it cant shear off the small alignment screw.

I know several that run them. There's only been one issue that I know of, and they didn't use loctite. We've never had an issue with one.

Lock washers are the last thing you want to use to increase clamp load.

The gears that I have seen, use a 10-32 bolt for the adjustment pin. That size does not have a lot of sheer strength. To prevent the gear from slipping we always did a very simple thing. We put piece of metal stock, a dowl pin or key stock between one of the bolts and end of the slot. Never had a gear slip with this.

Back