Advantages of p-pumping

if money is not a problem for you than i would take it somewhere and have it done. i am only saying this because you are going to end up driving your self crazy doing it in your garage. if you take it to a shop then you can tell them the rpm you want and anyother mods you want. then when it is done they call you to pick up and then just drive away. then if there are ever any problems then i am sure they have some kind of warranty so then they have to fix or at least at a lower cost. but on ther other hand there is something to be said about doing it yourself. and you get to learn how you truck works a little better too,$.02

4 valve will always flow more.

Not true..... Most have seen the flow charts on PDR's website and quote them as gospel. The 2 valve head in stock form doesn't flow as much air but with proper prep it can be made to outflow even the best prepped 4 valve head! Also the larger 8mm stems on the 12v valves are much stronger than the small 7mm deisgn used in the 24v heads.

Doug

Also the larger 8mm stems on the 12v valves are much stronger than the small 7mm deisgn used in the 24v heads.

Doug

Doug, can a valve (with a bigger stem) be put in a 24V head? At what point (rpm wise) do the smaller valve stems become an issue?

I think if you were starting from scratch a 12V is the obvious choice (much cheaper), however when you have already dumped a bunch of money in a 24V (ported/polished head, springs, retainers, oringed, etc), it's much harder to try and justify selling off all your used parts for a loss and starting over with a 12V...

I think if you were starting from scratch a 12V is the obvious choice (much cheaper), however when you have already dumped a bunch of money in a 24V (ported/polished head, springs, retainers, oringed, etc), it's much harder to try and justify selling off all your used parts for a loss and starting over with a 12V...

My reason for p-pumping my truck. Except for the ported/polished head part.

I got one.

Start up. The VP44's see failure at the first 20 minutes after start up. Which is real sad considering even the bone stock set ups are prone to this issue.

Well i havent seen 600 hp but i have seen what a 400 + hp vp44 truck can do ( best truck i have ever owned), and in the winter time , beats the heck out of my 300 hp 12valve, ill be lucky if the 12v even starts. Im not at all impressed with the 12v(p7100 rebuilt under 100k at stock power) as i am with my 24v(86k miles on a stock vp44 with stock lift pump but replaced a few times) for 400 hp for daily driving habbits and cold weather starts( -20 or so). the vp44 was a 6 speed and the 12v is a 5 speed. Thas just my personal experience, also my trucks run winter grade fuel most of the time.

OK, so Scheids website rally sux! where can you find a price on their cinversion kit??

You cant, go to Haisleys. They break it down pretty good on there with prices. They are the same kit. Tim

Wrong...there are WAY more 12v's out there kicking A$$ than there are 4 valve heads;)

Just remember, $1800 in springs, keepers, retainers, and bridges to make a 4V head live over 3500RPM...and then how long until you break a valve with that small stem...$450 will do the same thing on a 12v;)

Chris

i strongly disagree, east coast had a 24v truck last year that turned 5500 and never had a minutes trouble with valve train or the bottom end, the only problems they ran into was the turbo once and the drive train broke and it put rods out. also, curt ran a 24v head a few years ago, before all this high dollar crap came out, never had valve train problems, its like band aids, you get a paper cut the doctor wants you to put one on, why?, because he sells them. I know for fact unless both of them are extremely lucky for whatever reason, you dont need all that valve train stuff. hell, ladell never even ran studs or a girdle in the bottom end and was turning his motor 5500. i would seriously, talk to someone who doesn't sell these parts or is really honest and see what their input is on this.:kick:

OK, so Scheids website rally sux! where can you find a price on their cinversion kit??

they just changed that not too long ago i think, isnt that awful? only thing that pops up is intercooler boots and fass pumps. that is miserable isnt it?:bang

if anything the mileage is probably better, i cant see where it could be worse, besides if your doin the conversion your not worried about mileage anyway, or you'd keep a vp and a edge ez or something.

VP44's start to retard timing as boost goes up. So the P7100 should have the upperhand in mileage too.