AFC Mod Questions

Goolsbymd

Ok so I took the AFC all apart, grinded a tiny bit off the foot, flipped the washers around (just to make sure its right, I took the non cupped one and put it against the springs, and the cupped one is on the other side with the "bowel" facing the smoke screw). The smoke screw is barely in (backed all the way out) and the star wheel is cranked all the way back (spun away from the engine then in 3 clicks) I know its a long process to dial it in and this won't be the end of the adjustments but does this sound about right for a good start?

I don't want a lot of smoke and want to lite up my charger pretty quickly

yup, now all you ever need to do is one adjustment, the starwheel, that determines how quickly that arm is going to get out of the way to fuel, after i did my AFC mod, i started with the spring really tight, and gradualy backed it off untill i thought i had a good balance of spoolup, and smoke. from what you posted, it sounds like your spring is really loose, and 3 clicks isn't going to change anything really, your need more like 10-15 clicks to notice a difference in spring tension. with that thing forward, the arm is going to freely move alot until the spring even makes contact, and then start to tighten up. try and put it a good bit tight, like when your looking in the adjustment hole, about halfway inbetween the hole, maybe a little farther back twoards the fire wall. that's about where my starwheel is right now, im sure im going to be able to change it once i get my new charger on(62/68/13SS), it will be alot quicker spooling than my last charger(66/65/14). just keep messin with it, you find a sweet spot!

Wes

Thanks man, on the other forums I have posted on haven't gotten a reply from them. Always rely on Compd

Grind the cup off the washer and smooth out the edges. That way you have no travel issue in either direction.

Set your AFC to full fuel at 25-30psi with shop air. You make an adapter that will fit where the afc boost line connects, and then set a compressor for 25-30psi and hit the afc with air (off of the truck) and set it to when the foot starts to move.
This is how alot of us set them up.

Set your AFC to full fuel at 25-30psi with shop air. You make an adapter that will fit where the afc boost line connects, and then set a compressor for 25-30psi and hit the afc with air (off of the truck) and set it to when the foot starts to move.
This is how alot of us set them up.

Yea I have read about that a couple times. I just don't have shop air. Im doing all the work in my apartment garage and being in the military with moving around so much no one I know has a compressor.

If you have a stock gsk, try mixing in those springs instead of the stock afc spring. the sets I've built use 2 springs, allow full rack travel, but also control fueling from idle rack position

i set mine so that the barrel almost bottoms out on the housing at 35 psi. are most people setting them up this was or are they setting them so the arm starts moving around a desired PSI?

I set mine so the arm passes the plate around the desired psi. I found I could get my AFC to travel much farther then I needed, without the fixture I would have never known, Thanks again RonA!

DSC00832.jpg

I currently use a stock 215 governor spring and pass the plate around 35psi as its setup. I also like the governor springs because they are much stiffer and more importantly longer than stock.

is there a chance i can get the measurements to build a test rig like that from you?

is there a chance i can get the measurements to build a test rig like that from you?

I'm a long way from that tester or anything more accurate then a tape measure right now but next chance I get I'll get them.

A crayon rubbing of the top of the pump would also yield the information needed.

I just went through all this with mine. Had no problem with performance, just trying to stop some of the pre spool smoke. Could not put enough pressure on the diaphragm to keep it from moving at 25 psi. Put it together with the smoke screw out a bit.
Took it for a drive, kept looking back for the anchor. Would not get out of it's own way.
After several adj's, removing tension with the star wheel, etc. I have my power back.
I probably did not do something just right or don't have the fuel needed for the recommended afc mods to work like some do.
Oh well, don't race anyway, just a DD that tows a lot.

I set mine so the arm passes the plate around the desired psi. I found I could get my AFC to travel much farther then I needed, without the fixture I would have never known, Thanks again RonA!

DSC00832.jpg

I currently use a stock 215 governor spring and pass the plate around 35psi as its setup. I also like the governor springs because they are much stiffer and more importantly longer than stock.

found this after some searching, just a place holder.

Put it together with the smoke screw out a bit.
Took it for a drive, kept looking back for the anchor. Would not get out of it's own way.
After several adj's, removing tension with the star wheel, etc. I have my power back.

what most don't realize is that by backing the smoke screw out, and flipping/griding the washer, it will actually make the rack arm move less than stock before it makes contact with the afc arm, and if you have any tension on the spring you have to wait for boost to overcome that tension. so basically it will feel like a turd down low, but should come alive inthe mid to upper rpm, assuming you dont have the spring to tight, if it is to tight, then you can possibly run into a coil bind issue. what i did with mine was find where the coarse smoke screw just barely touches the diaphram rod, then turn it in(clockwise...) 2, maybe 3 full turns. that will at least get it back to stock travel, if not slightly more. that will wake the truck up down low. after that you just start messing around with the starwheel, and finding the right combo for your truck. go out and drive ytour truck, take a 8mm allen wrench with you, and a flatblade screw driver, and adjust away!

Wes

i just wanted to mark this thread so i can make that fixture when i get a chance..

i have seen it before but that was a while ago and i didn't understand what was going on, but i got it now.