AIR intake Temps related to HP

rbmedic75

Cummins Fanatic
Ok guys question is relation to Air Temps and HP also if possible factoring in humidity. I know there are some hardcore guys on here that may be able to help me out in my quest for definative information on Air Intake Temps/Humidity Vs HP. Obviously Colder air means more density and dryer air means more density, but anyone know to what degree or where i can find definative information. Example 700HP @ AIT of 100* and 55% humidty would produce X amount additional HP with 40*AIT and 20% humidity. Are we talking quality gains or nominal. I mean we spend Thousands of dollars on Intercoolers Air to Air and lots of pullers runnign Ice water to Air. Help is always appreciated guys

Read somewhere on here that for every 10 degree increase of Air temps X amount of HP loss but cant find that or any other info on it

Ok guys question is relation to Air Temps and HP also if possible factoring in humidity. I know there are some hardcore guys on here that may be able to help me out in my quest for definative information on Air Intake Temps/Humidity Vs HP. Obviously Colder air means more density and dryer air means more density, but anyone know to what degree or where i can find definative information. Example 700HP @ AIT of 100* and 55% humidty would produce X amount additional HP with 40*AIT and 20% humidity. Are we talking quality gains or nominal. I mean we spend Thousands of dollars on Intercoolers Air to Air and lots of pullers runnign Ice water to Air. Help is always appreciated guys

Read somewhere on here that for every 10 degree increase of Air temps X amount of HP loss but cant find that or any other info on it

10* drop makes for 1% hp gain.

just for some reference info:

my compressor outlet temps are 600ish

my water/air outlet temps are 100ish

And how much does your boost drop compared to running with no intercooler? or compared to 300 degrees to 100 degrees?

And how much does your boost drop compared to running with no intercooler? or compared to 300 degrees to 100 degrees?

I wish I could answer that. My boost sensors don't survive so I don't have datalogs of boost. I need to relocate it away from the engine I guess, just haven't done it yet.

Not sure I'd want to run it w/o the water to air intercooler, as my egt's are hot the way it is.

Very impressive drop, I have been playing with a few things to see just how cold I can get air temos down to, got some pretty neat Ideas so we will see how this turns out. Thanks for the info guys :ft:

Mine is roughly the same but I run air/air and intake temps around 160* at the head

10* drop makes for 1% hp gain.

Old rule of thumb for NA mills - shouldn't assume identical gain for FI.

Boost is a measure of restriction - all else being equal, compressor's gonna fill up intake volume as usual... just with denser air.

Twins add a variable that can be taken advantage of (you spec'd IC).

Very impressive drop, I have been playing with a few things to see just how cold I can get air temos down to, got some pretty neat Ideas so we will see how this turns out. Thanks for the info guys :ft:

Refrigerated A/W (IC or CAC) drops charge-air down to less than 60*F - very effective :evil ... beware of going too low & shock cooling the combustion chamber - changes timing requirements excessively.

Wrong.
Cooler temperature doesn't change power, it allows more fuel to be injected safely.

It means more air... period.

You can have a perfectly safe tune, but your truck is going to run a LOT better at 40*f ambient than at 100*f... with the same exact fueling that is perfectly safe at both temps

Wrong.
Cooler temperature doesn't change power, it allows more fuel to be injected safely.

The lower the air temperature, the denser air. In our world we are almost always over fueled, so more air would allow us to use the fuel we are normally not using.. Which would give you more power.. Yes, denser air would allow more fuel to be injected, if your engine had an O2 sensor and the computer was trying to keep a certain A/F ratio.. Either way, more fuel will have been burned efficiently, which would increase your power output..

Cooler temp=Denser air
Denser air=More efficient fuel burn
More efficient fuel burn= More power

Bridge 13.9 OHM Resistors at the AIT sensor.

271-1101 pckg of (5) 10 OHM
271-1123 pckg of (5) 3.9 OHM

all at Radioshack.

between an Air to water cooler and a Snow kit i was able to drop the boost about 10lbs.

Wrong.

Not being a Dick man but I gotta ask I have seen you over on CF as well here lately and have seen nothing but argumentative post telling everyone they dont know what they are talking about, so just curious if you have something to contribute or just lookng to :poke:bif. Cooler air is going to equal more power simply becasue cooler air molecules are moving slower creating much more room for oxygen saturation thus especially with my truck and a MAP sensor allowing the truck to fuel harder making MORE power. Add to that Dryer air (less humidity) your also gain the space the water molecules used to take up for additional oxygen. This I was already aware of I was looking for specific gains which I got some from here.

Not being a Dick man but I gotta ask I have seen you over on CF as well here lately and have seen nothing but argumentative post telling everyone they dont know what they are talking about, so just curious if you have something to contribute or just lookng to :poke:bif. Cooler air is going to equal more power simply becasue cooler air molecules are moving slower creating much more room for oxygen saturation thus especially with my truck and a MAP sensor allowing the truck to fuel harder making MORE power. Add to that Dryer air (less humidity) your also gain the space the water molecules used to take up for additional oxygen. This I was already aware of I was looking for specific gains which I got some from here.

:rockwoot: and including no Cummins in his sig.....

Bridge 13.9 OHM Resistors at the AIT sensor.

271-1101 pckg of (5) 10 OHM
271-1123 pckg of (5) 3.9 OHM

all at Radioshack.

Common Rail? what does it give the computer for a IAT reading? What does the computer change to tailor for the temp?

Dropped the air/air. Went from 200F to ~600F IAT. Power dropped from 608 to 446. Also melts pistons.