Airdog II 165 post install question

Oaborbag

It's just a 6 cylinder
I finished the installation on my pump 2 days ago and it took days longer than expected. With the combination of broken old bolts and trying to undo previous lift pumps that were installed it took a while.

First thoughts on the pump is that the truck starts up much faster and runs better overall. I also gained a few more pounds of boost probably with the extra fuel. With my last pump at wot fuel pressure would almost be at 0 :nail:

My concern is that at idle fuel pressure is about 19-20psi, normal driving it drops to about 16-17psi and at wot with the box on kill it drops to around 9psi. Is this too low? If so what should I look at to solve it? My fuel pressure gage is hooked into the NPT port on top of the airdog base.

Lastly to anyone without lots of experience working on their truck, the instructions is only a vague guideline at best. None of the pictures looked like what my truck has and it leaves out many important steps and most of the bolts provided were too long.

It's adjustable. Adjust it. It could be a little higher, but 9 psi is enough to keep the VP44 wet.

your pressure should not drop that much. i have mine set at 22psi and it drops to around 18psi.

You should have more pressure than that, and the AirDog itself should maintain better pressure than that. I would install the fuel pressure gauge at the VP. Give you a more accurate idea of what kind of pressure is going into the VP.

My Raptor 150 hardly moves under WOT, granted I only have stock injectors and a stock VP. Maybe your huge pressure lose is because the gauge is tapped right next to the transfer pump. As the pump pushes fuel faster you notice a huge pressure lose there due to the velocity increase of the fuel. Just an idea.

None of the pictures looked like what my truck has.

Tell me about it. The instructions for a 1st gen actually shows pictures of a 2nd gen 12v. :doh:. I also replaced all of the mounting hardware with stainless. Even the fuel line fittings since I used 1/2" stainless tubing as well.

One thing I recently learned, check your battery connections, as in the post clamp, the neg side on my truck were not making good connection causing fluctuations. Fixed that today and the fluctuations went away. It also will not pull down as far as it would before, so it's definitely something to look at.

I have my fuel pressure gauge on the AirDog as well. It stays a constant 15psi at idle and down to maybe 12-13 at WOT.

One thing I recently learned, check your battery connections, as in the post clamp, the neg side on my truck were not making good connection causing fluctuations. Fixed that today and the fluctuations went away. It also will not pull down as far as it would before, so it's definitely something to look at.

I'll try that, my driver's side negative battery cable needs to be replaced soon, it has a crack in it from being tightened too much so it probably isn't making a great connection. Sometimes my TC won't stay locked so i have to adjust the clamp

You should have more pressure than that, and the AirDog itself should maintain better pressure than that. I would install the fuel pressure gauge at the VP. Give you a more accurate idea of what kind of pressure is going into the VP.

My Raptor 150 hardly moves under WOT, granted I only have stock injectors and a stock VP. Maybe your huge pressure lose is because the gauge is tapped right next to the transfer pump. As the pump pushes fuel faster you notice a huge pressure lose there due to the velocity increase of the fuel. Just an idea.

Would something like this work?

Push Lock Fuel Pressure Tee 1/2

According to my quick search actually connecting the gauge to the injection pump is not as accurate or it fluctuates a lot, so maybe putting that fitting near the pump would work well?

I have my fuel pressure gauge on the AirDog as well. It stays a constant 15psi at idle and down to maybe 12-13 at WOT.

Mine goes down to 13-14psi with my comp on 1x1 and wot, but on 5x5 it drops down to around 9psi at wot, at least according to my gauge.

Side thought, I know the Airdog 200 says for "extremely modified" engines, I do not think mine is anywhere near that, maybe the 165 is at it's limit? But I haven't adjusted the regulator yet, but being 19psi at idle, it seems like it's right where it should be.

Last edited:
Yup that tee fitting will do the trick. Similar to what I have, plumb it just before the injection pump.

Are you using an after market pickup tube or sump? My factory sending unit was holding my pump back. I installed a sump no more pressure problems.

Mine goes down to 13-14psi with my comp on 1x1 and wot, but on 5x5 it drops down to around 9psi at wot, at least according to my gauge.

That is a big drop. The 12-13 I was talking about is with both programmers maxed, HX40 and 40 horse injectors. Maybe try another gauge...

Put a bypass type regulator in up by the vp, crank up the air dog regulator to 40 psi, and set your bypass for around 19. It will never budge off of that. you can get and away using a smaller, way cheaper pump and still maintain plenty of fuel flow and pressure.
Check out how we did 24vriv's fuel system. Using an so vp, 7 x 14's and compounds, he still has 19 psi fuel pressure running enough stank to get him down into the 11's and 1600+ dg

C'mon y'all airdog installs are my favorite. Lol

Every time I do one I think. "This is going to be the airdog that goes smooth." I still haven't done one that went as planned.

Oh and be glad it wasn't a cr. Some of the cr fuel baskets are a beotch

Every time I do one I think. "This is going to be the airdog that goes smooth." I still haven't done one that went as planned.

Fass is no better either :hehe:

Oh and be glad it wasn't a cr. Some of the cr fuel baskets are a beotch

4-5 hours is a smooth install. We've had them take 8 due to rusty/broken junk on trucks.

Mine didnt take very long to install at all. But I did Jane the tank out of the truck And the filter off before I ever starred. I got the raptor 150 withe the quick disconnect kit.

The only problem I had was the first pump I got leaked. In one of the mounting holes it had been tapped and there was a hole through the fuel passage.

If you are having converter issues as well you have some voltage issues going due to that cable end being cracked. Get that fixed and see what happens.

If you are having converter issues as well you have some voltage issues going due to that cable end being cracked. Get that fixed and see what happens.

I need to, last time I looked new cables weren't cheap,maybe that's changed or I can find a new end.

Are you using an after market pickup tube or sump? My factory sending unit was holding my pump back. I installed a sump no more pressure problems.

I'm using the pick up tube that came with the kit. Metal fitting on top of the sending unit with a hard plastic line connecting to it then a flexible tube on the bottom.

I'm going to move the pressure gauge closer to the injection pump and see if I get different results.

And lastly I hate air lock....glad I always carry a wrench with me. Had to get off the throttle too quickly when testing wot and pressure, and I think my tranny is angry at me when its not locked up. Might have found its power limit, or I just need a tranny tune up.

Most starter/alternator places, and battery places, will carry new crimp on ends. Just cut off the old and crimp new on. There is enough spare length on the cables to do this, barely LOL

Most starter/alternator places, and battery places, will carry new crimp on ends. Just cut off the old and crimp new on. There is enough spare length on the cables to do this, barely LOL

I'll check out the auto stores around hear soon to see if they have one that will work, thanks.