Alcohol and PVC

Stock Ram

Haulin' Grass
So my neighbor and I were drinking beer and looking through some diesel mags outside my garage. One of the hundreds of ads was for a "Ram Air" attachment for your Banks CAI. Although I did not price it I could imagine that it was probably selling for $175 to $200. This cost probably goes to all the tireless research done to make a $5 piece of plastic with $2 worth of hardware and perhaps a Banks sticker. Not mocking Banks just the ridiculous prices for some really basic easy upgrades.

Fast forward to the beginning of a buzz.....

Looking around the garage we found some PVC and a dust pan. The dust pan was one of the kind that is at the end of a long handle and just swivels at the bottom. We used 3" PVC because that's all we had (probably would have been better w/ 4").

We cut a hole in the bottom of my Airaid CAI and slipped a 2' piece of PVC straight down (a coupler was used at the top in the box so it would not fall straight down). We took the dust pan and cut a hole in the rear slipping in a 45 degree piece. This is where the alcohol was a bit of a problem because I got a little sloppy with the hole. With a little adjusting and trimming of length we connected the down pipe with the dust pan and screwed the coupling to the pipes. We decided against gluing it in case we wanted to take it off. Used a few self tapping screws to attach the pan to the bottom of the bumper and we were done. I think my neighbor fastened the down pipe to something to prevent it from moving around. Done!

Drove it through the neighborhood a few times and if nothing else, it lowered the air intake temp drastically. I have a Scan Gauge hooked up to the truck so I can see the temp at the MAI. I live in S. Florida and I am used to the MAI temp being at least 20 above the outside temp but now it is between 8 to 10 degrees above (city driving).

On a side note, my tuner/programmer plays hell with the scan gauges MPG readings. If you think the stock is off then you should see it when tuned. It will tell me that I am getting around 36 - 110 MPG. With my new ram air I am currently getting around 1000 - 3500 MPG. LMAO.

I am trying to add some blurry cell phone pics. Sorry it's the alcohol. When I wake up tomorrow I will paint it.

I know there are some sober backyard mechs out there who can do a better job and I would love to see it.......

IMG_00802.jpg

Last edited:
Thats purdy good i thought of somethin like that before but the only thing that stop me was the worry of moisture from rain on the road soaken in my filter and making it muddy or clogging it a little bit but i dont know i might be incorrect on my calculations and could work just fine.

IIRC the banks one had a pass thru for the water and then went up.

I'll see if I can find a pic.

I thought about that too. The intake is drawing air from two sources, the original hole in the side of the box linked to the factory intake source and the new hole in the bottom. The new intake source will not act like a straw because there is no vacuum. The pipe is 2' long and I don't think the water will get that far up the pipe??? Where I live in Florida it not only gets wet but some of the roads flood out.

Just don't think the water can get up 2' of pipe and tomorrow when I am sober, I might go to Home Depot and get some 4" pipe.

Pic would help!!!

Here is the picture/model I was trying to copy.

http://bankspower.com/products/show/303/6

From their photos I cannot see a any design to allow water to escape. I believe they are going by my premise that water will not be "sucked" into the intake. Their design is more efficient in the way that all the air is forced up to the intake. Mine relies on trapping the air and only getting the intake through the PVC opening. It probably creates drag and who knows what will happen to it at 100+ MPH.

If nothing else, it does a great job of getting cold air away from the motor to the intake.

Last edited:
Props for the innovation of parts while drinking :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:. Doesn't look too shabby either. Now drink up and make up some more parts :Cheer::Cheer::Cheer:

Weekends commin' and anything is possible.

I should show you how I took an 8X12 Lawn trailer and put a heavy duty low boy axle on it with 20K lb springs. You would laugh till you wet yourself but it works for me!

Weekends commin' and anything is possible.

I should show you how I took an 8X12 Lawn trailer and put a heavy duty low boy axle on it with 20K lb springs. You would laugh till you wet yourself but it works for me!

That sounds SICK. But you are right i would like to see it.