Alcohol powered engines

I've read articles about mixing alcohol with diesel [Diesohol] for emmision testing. Just do a search on diesohol & start reading, lots of info. Another thing I've been reading up on is methanol mixed into diesel fuel. There are alot of articles on the web about these subjects.

From what I understand... the NG head isn't exactly optimum for running on Alcohol.

From what I understand... the NG head isn't exactly optimum for running on Alcohol.

I was going to say, i would post pictures but quickserve wont let me right click.

If one had a spare 12v head could one have machine work done to the injector bores to accept spark plugs?

I tried finding the article I was reading about this subject, but I lost it. I have it written somewhere. I believe it was in England where they started mixing alcohol with diesel at a 10% ratio to clean up emissions on buses traveling through the city. The article explained that they had a 20% lower emissions from that vehicle, even though they were running .3% tranny fluid as a lubrication additive. The article also explained how they tried mixing Methyl Alcohol, but it doesn't blend well with diesel. Then they tried Butyl alcohol, because it is less corrosive & can be mixed at any concentration safely. I'll try to find it.

I was going to say, i would post pictures but quickserve wont let me right click.

If one had a spare 12v head could one have machine work done to the injector bores to accept spark plugs?

I'm sure they can easily be machined to accept spark plugs

I thoguht top fuel ran nitro :confused:

Top Alcohol cars run the same engine but with about 2500 HP on a 65% overdrive...

In basic theory its an easy swap, but communism works in theory and we all see how that turned out...

In the real world however...yeah...not as easy...

There are some budget classes, one called Limited Light Super. This class usually allow the alky tractors no more than 370ci, where the diesels can run 470ci. And the turbo rule is 3" inducer.

Some organizing bodies allow the diesels to run a two charger setup, and limit the alky burners to 1.

Jay Fuqua and his IH 3688 was at one time running a 4 charger set up in MSTPA 6k and 8k Lb. Super Stock.

If you all are into the Alky Cummins Setup. You need to look at the Wild Horses MM. He has a Alky powered cummins, and runs great.

does running a diesel engine this way make it more prone to failure? Seems like everytime I go to a pull and watch the Alchy tractors bought every other one throws parts across the track.

They are under ALOT of stress. And alky is a very dangerous animal.

They are under ALOT of stress. And alky is a very dangerous animal.

not really...actually burns alot cooler than gasoline...I prefer it to gas...except when you get a large amount of vaporized alcohol blown in your face...then you get to set in the back of the ambulance...

not really...actually burns alot cooler than gasoline...I prefer it to gas...except when you get a large amount of vaporized alcohol blown in your face...then you get to set in the back of the ambulance...

It also burns dry. Alot more chance of losing a injector pump.

Ok, that makes sense. That tractor is beautiful. Now are Deere motors always opposite with intake/exhaust or did they just set the head up that way? So basically they are converting it over to a gas engine style and just using a diesel short block because its stronger... maybe?

I did a quick search on cummins.com and I looked at a picture of the natural gas 5.9 It has six spark plugs on top. Where did they mount a distributor system on the nat. gas 5.9?

Deere heads have the intake and exhaust on the same side