Almost expensive

Racing4funn

I posted for help months back for a real rough idle. It started shortly after installing a high pressure pump. Because the consensus was injector problems, I pulled them and sent them to Dyno Mite Diesel. Even Lenny at Dyno Mite Diesel felt that the injectors were the problem.

Shortly thereafter, Dyno Mite calls me saying that I have two cracked injectors and 3 that are flat worn out. The truck has 38k miles on it (3 INJECTORS WORN OUT?). They recommended that I replace the whole set at $2900. I made it clear on the front end that my truck is a WORK truck i.e. it is needed for me to function on a daily basis. I was reluctant to part with such a large sum of cash and asked them to ship the injectors back to me. They charged me $140 for their time.

Since $2900 is a lot of freaking money, I felt a 2nd opinion was necessary. I talked to Shane at Wicked. He stated that in a worse case scenario (i.e. replacement of all injectors), the price would be $2400 compared to $2900. At least I could save 400$ with Wicked. (NOTE both prices were for injectors with 90hp tips)

Shane tested all of the injectors. He found one not firing, pulled it apart, there was gunk in it (biodiesel probably) cleaned it, and the injector started firing. I asked him to pull all of them apart, to examine them and the tips. He did so and shipped them back. I installed them but the truck was running about the same. Back to square one. At least Shane didn’t charge me when it didn’t work out.

Time for a 3rd opinion. I found a Bosch service center and that’s all they do. Injectors day in and day out. Repair, rebuild, replace. They test the injectors for anything and to determine if they are worn out. They informed me that one injector is not firing. The bad injector needed another solenoid or pump or whatever and would cost me $100. I paid $35 per injector (not positive on that price) for testing and $100 for the rebuild. I installed them in the truck and it fired up perfectly!!!! YEEAAAA

Needless to say, I was pissed at Dyno Mite for trying to rip me off. I called them and talked to Lenny and told him how far off they were and how his $2900 answer morphed into a $100 fix. He insisted that Bosch missed something; that I still had two cracked injectors. THEY WERE TESTED AT AN AUTHORIZED BOSCH SERIVE CENTER but he refused to budge and if he really believes the other 3 were worn out then he needs to get out of the testing/servicing business and stick with selling parts. He wanted to give me $1k that they were cracked even though the truck was running great. I said fine, I’d will pull them again if he would send me the tools to remove the tips and he agreed and for me to take pictures of them. Over a week after this betting conversation I received a refund from Dyno Mite for the $140 they charged for testing and no tools.

BUSTED DYNO MITE.

Things like this suck!! Sometimes its kinda like the AC repair man. He can tell you what he wants and what are you going to do?

Shane tried to repair the injector but apparently it was an intermittent problem or it needed rebuilt instead of cleaning. He could have taken me half way to the cleaners and replaced two injectors for under $1k and I would have been dancing!! Because he would have saved me $1900. Super honest man!

Also, I’m stuck on naming the service center. They do lots of work for lots of people and shops and they asked me to keep them out of this. Im not sure why they would care. Could anyone hold them at fault for being standup?

Ive currently put over 2k miles on the injectors and all is well

Last edited:
Well im happy you got your truck fixed, goes to show, who we can trust in this world. Its hard to find honest people these days.

Clarification from first post. DDP was going to refund the $1k I spent on the 90hp tips if there wasnt two cracked injectors. They were going to send me the tool to pull the tips but instead I got a refund check for the testing of the tips. Guess they decided to cut their losses and keep by thousand bucks instead of putting it on the line..

I dont know man. I have known Lenny for a long time now and I dont think he would try and take anyone to the cleaners. DDP has been great to me and all the people I send there way.

I dont know man. I have known Lenny for a long time now and I dont think he would try and take anyone to the cleaners. DDP has been great to me and all the people I send there way.

I knew with my post there were going to be some speak kindly of DDP and I did too before this.. If people dont double and triple check things then one never knows.. People in a bind might not have the time or options to double check. I believe that was assumed in my dealings.

I have never dealt with Lenny/DDP

Maybe his standards for what is a "good" injector are higher than Bosch's?

Just playing Devil's Advocate here...

I have had nothing but good luck with DDP and their customer service... I'm glad you got your problem fixed..

DDP being the first to look at them and saying I had two cracked, I asked Wicked and the Bosch service to examine each tip. No one else found any problems.. Thats big in my opinion.. I was afraid I drove both shops crazy with my "somethings cracked" paranoia

I think you're disappointed that your little bashing thread didn't pan out.

It's anyone's guess as to what went on at DDP with your injectors. My hunch is they probably honestly felt there was a problem with them. But that's just my opinion. It seems the reasonable thing to do now is let it pass.

I hope if you have the unfortunate luck of having an injector tip fail and trash a cylinder one of these days, you'll update this thread accordingly.

-Jay

Commonrail that seems a little high but DDP is a quality injector! Ask on here if you ahve EVER heard of any problems with there injectors!!! In my opinion they are the BEST and SAFEST way to go! Do a serch on here of how many stock injectors have had problems! If you have a CR your best bet is to get a set of DDP's or flux injectors before you are signing the melted a motor down blues! Gurantee it will cost alot more than $2900

I would trust the "shop" that rebuilt your injectors for life.
There are not too many "real" Bosch Service Centers out there...

Maybe one...lol. ;-)

Glad it worked out. I am sure the other guys did try their hardest.

Back