Alright guys, looking to throw my wallet at this truck. Assistance needed.

AustinM

"...what was that noise?"
Hey everyone. Hope you all had a good christmas.

I'm new to this site, I've been registered for some time now but do not visit frequently, and seeing as this is a competition forum, I just assume at least a couple of you have a lot of experience with The VP44 trucks.

I just want to give whatever information I can from the start and read and respond with you guys.

What I've got is a near stock VP44 ISB with a 53 Block. 177k miles, no cracks or oil spots, just glaze. Trucks got a new re-manufactured SOVP44, put in last August of 2014. Freshly rebuilt 47RE with a single-clutch billet torque converter, re-manufactured T-Case, S&B Cold air, and a Juice w/ Attitude. WOT with my backdown set to 1350F EGT's, hits it in a matter of about maybe 8 seconds from dead stop, and would definitely go over if I took the backdown off.

The truck does eat oil. Over 2500-3000 miles, it burns nothing short of a gallon. I would know this if I were to check the Oil more often throughout time, but I mostly notice it when I have to slam on my brakes and my oil pressure drops to nearly 3 PSI on my CS, and flat lines on my factory cluster. Starting it up in the morning it hazes blue for nothing more than 5 - 10 minutes, then stops. I have not checked for blow-by. I want to look into getting the rings and everything replaced, need to get pricing on it. I don't know if it should bother me, but everyone around me aren't exactly Cummins' gurus. Neither am I.

My first intentions were a Fass 150, intake horn, intercooler plumbing, then headbolts. Then get along with the injectors, and compounds, or more than likely a big single. Other supporting mods I haven't figured yet, but I'm sure one of you could help me out.

What bothers me the most is this oil eating and my egt's being that high. For instance, getting up to speed on a highway entrance, I'm looking at 750 - 900 degrees, with about 40-65% throttle.

Truck is mostly on road, no load. Soon to be puling at least a 35' 5th wheel travel trailer. I want to build a truck that does well pulling that, atleast somewhat cool. And when it isn't pulling anything, can haul some ass. Looking at most 450 - 600 HP.

I appreciate you guys' feedback. Have a good night!

Last edited:
Before you go throwing money at it, buy another block and or engine and resolve the oil burning issue. You have something seriously wrong there, and well, you can't polish a turd. Lack of compression will lead to the high egt's and the 53 block is not a good place to begin with.

Before you go throwing money at it, buy another block and or engine and resolve the oil burning issue. You have something seriously wrong there, and well, you can't polish a turd. Lack of compression will lead to the high egt's and the 53 block is not a good place to begin with.

Yep. My 53 let go last year. "This block's got a crack the size of the San Andreas" LOL