amsoil questions

camccardell

not sure if this is the place for this thread, so feel free to move it if you wish admins.

Ok, here is what I am looking at.

I received an amsoil bypass system a few years back before I started my diesel swap as a gift. I am now ready to use it and I am having quite a time with it.

I originally thought it was a bmk23, but with so many differences I have been doing a ton of reading. I now believe that it is an bmk13.

Does anyone know the differences between the systems? I mean I realize that the bypass filter is first on the 13 and 2nd on the 23. I also noticed from pics that there appears to be an orifice on the bypass port on the 23.

It is new, but it it outdated technology? Is there a reason that I shouldn't use it, or just get the bmk23?

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

not sure if this is the place for this thread, so feel free to move it if you wish admins.

I received an amsoil bypass system a few years back before I started my diesel swap as a gift. I am now ready to use it and I am having quite a time with it.

I originally thought it was a bmk23, but with so many differences I have been doing a ton of reading. I now believe that it is an bmk13.

Does anyone know the differences between the systems? I mean I realize that the bypass filter is first on the 13 and 2nd on the 23. I also noticed from pics that there appears to be an orifice on the bypass port on the 23.

It is new, but it it outdated technology? Is there a reason that I shouldn't use it, or just get the bmk23?

Thanks

Send me some pictures of what you have either to my email or cell phone I will PM you the info. I will be happy to get you straightened out with the system.

PM Mark Harris (GotSmoke?) He can help ya out.

:thankyou2: Lucky!

There will be an orifice in any bypass system.

He is correct!

Thanks

I recommend switching to the cummins remote mount filter plate, came stock some marine applications and clear up a lot of space on the side of the block. You can alleviate the filter head hanging off the plate and have more space for the turbo arrangment. I've got pics of my setup with my bypass on my fummins in my gallery.

I recommend switching to the cummins remote mount filter plate, came stock some marine applications and clear up a lot of space on the side of the block. You can alleviate the filter head hanging off the plate and have more space for the turbo arrangment. I've got pics of my setup with my bypass on my fummins in my gallery.

I have heard using a remote filter mount drops oil pressure a bit?

I've just got my stock gauges, so accuracy isn't the best, but I did not notice any drop in pressure at the gauge, and I switched to -10AN lines for my filter head and -06AN to my turbos. I've got the turbo lines going straight to the drain right now (turbos are off), and I've still got good pressure at the sender. Running a slightly smaller line to the filter head may help keep pressure up if you're noticing a drop at the gauge.

Eventual plan is to put oil pressure sending units before each gauge so I can check pressure at the turbo, but that's not going to happen in the near future.

I cannot verify that it does so on a 5.9L, but on a 6.7L it does just enough to upset the low pressure sensor and cause a low oil pressure light.

This is why Amsoil discontinued the "complete dual bypass kit" for the Cummins engine, because many customers like Jory "Dually4x4" installed one on a 6.7L and while sitting at stop lights/stop signs the low oil pressure light will flicker.

It is not enough to harm anything on a 5.9L engine and they have been in use for several years. I have one I purchased from a friend that I plan to install when I get around 15,000 miles on my new engine. :rockwoot:

I cannot verify that it does so on a 5.9L, but on a 6.7L it does just enough to upset the low pressure sensor and cause a low oil pressure light.

This is why Amsoil discontinued the "complete dual bypass kit" for the Cummins engine, because many customers like Jory "Dually4x4" installed one on a 6.7L and while sitting at stop lights/stop signs the low oil pressure light will flicker.

It is not enough to harm anything on a 5.9L engine and they have been in use for several years. I have one I purchased from a friend that I plan to install when I get around 15,000 miles on my new engine. :rockwoot:

I'll try and note any changes once I get mine back on the road again. I'm also interested in seeing if there is a oil temperature drop from the dual filters, longer lines, and increased distance from the engine block.

I'm hoping that will help keep oil flowing to the turbos cooler. wishing now I would have taken more specific readings before I swapped.

Thanks

Well, the masses are waiting, what did you decide to do? I'd love to see some more mounted up...

Sorry guys, been putting in 72 hours a week for awhile now. Totally killing me.
I ended up deciding to run it as is. Just had to make my own brackets as well as hoses to make it all fit.

Damn JIC fittings were giving me a fit, so I decided to run an fittings. I hope that they don't leak.

20130613_183238_zpsb7ccf91a.jpg

20130613_183637_zpsbd4ffe26.jpg

Can't wait to get it all back together and test out the compounds.

Hope it works!

Last edited:
It should be flowing down. The host is pushed down at the turbo in that picture though as it wasn't connected to the turbo, just being pushed down by it.

I sure hope it flows good, or I am going to be in a world of trouble!

A bypass filter does not need a gravity drain. The orifice limits flow through the filter but it still has 35+psi behind it to force flow.

A bypass filter does not need a gravity drain. The orifice limits flow through the filter but it still has 35+psi behind it to force flow.

We were referring to the drain for the turbo, not the remote filter. If the turbo doesn't have a gravity drain free of obstructions it'll blow the seals and leak like a sieve.

Back