Anodizing?

bna5017

Has anyone had their wheels anodized? I am not sure if it's even possible, but my wheels are very dull and always have been. I have polished them numerous times but they never polish up very well and never stay polished for very long..

I've done some searching and it seems like it really isn't that hard of a process, so if it's not too hard I would be willing to attempt it on my own. Obviously do some test parts before I do my wheels.

Any information would be appreciated

You can do it fairly easy, but why do you want a gold/copperish wheel? The process is very simple, acid wash to remove all contaminants and open the pores of the metal followed by either a dip or brushing of the part in question.

I've seen some pictures of clear anodized stuff and it looks very nice. I never noticed it having a copper color?

I may just try to sand them up to 2000 grit, polish them out, and seal them. I'm just sick of polishing them and it not lasting more than a few days. I assume wheels are made of a 6XXX grade aluminum?

There are different colors of anodizing just depends on what colors the shop has. I anodize in fl and i've been thinkin of anodizing my next set of wheels black. The process is easy, being consistent is the hardest part and if you dont know what youre doing theres a chance on messing up the aluminum

Alodine is a copper/goldish color. If thats what youre talkin about thats not gonna work on rims

It is my understanding that un-dyed is clear, and the pictures I have seen makes it look like polished aluminum..

It's clear but it doesnt look exactly like raw or polished metal. Depending on how thick the anodic coating is it will be dulled a bit. The thicker the coating the more dull itll look, but clear anodizing does have a similar apperance to polished

Ok, so I'll just polish them and try to seal them up with something. I have seen zoop seal, any other suggestions?

You could also acid wash them that gives them a semi cool look i think its just not a shiny finish

I have already acid washed them a few times. these wheels were disgusting when I bought them.

Alodine is a copper/goldish color. If thats what youre talkin about thats not gonna work on rims

Brain fart on my part, that is the process I had in mind, we did a good bit of it with the spray planes I used to work on.

Back