another question about exhaust

dodgepower

I just stopped by my muffler guy that has done all my other vehicles so is a trusted individual but i wanna understand a few more things and all...........

1. If go to straight pipes is it gonna effect a stock truck as in running wrong or help it?

2. MBRP 5" turbo back or cat back? how much difference are we really talking?

3. Does losing the cat with the turbo back or straight pipes void warranty?

Thanks yall you are the best.

Dealer had no problem with my straight pipe, but yours might. If you are concerned about your warranty, you may want to look at the cat-back system, or talk with your dealer.

Talk to your dealer, they are getting ticky on the mods with their rise in popularity. The best for the truck is a turbo back...oh, and it's the loudest to boot :evil

Billy,

The straight pipe will it mess up a stock motor as far as running good or is it good to go. My muffler guy said should be good to go but wanna talk to someone that truely knows ya know. Or do i have to have that cat or muffler to make it run?

It will run fine without that stuff.

A diesel exhaust is a lot different then the exhaust in a gas motor.

In the gas motor, there are several o2 sensors along the way that can be dramatically effected by going to a "straight pipe" exhaust. Most modern cars have both pre-catalytic and post-catalytic. The post sensors would be thrown into chaos by not having the catalytic converter remove some of the combustion by-products. Very much a negative impact.

In a diesel, there are no o2 sensors in the exhaust stream. Just a long pipe with a catalytic converer and muffler. The only thing you will due to the truck is increase noise and tailpipe emissions. If you live in a state that checks emissions, then you should probably avoid a straight pipe and go with the cat-back system.

Manufactors are really going for the juggular of after-market companies now. Even though by the letter of the law they have to show that the after-market part CAUSED the failure, they are still trying to void warranties if they SEE an after-market part... Unless you are in Canada. Canada can basically void your warranty if you don't use the correct windshield wiper blades. Thank god for magnuson-fergison (sp?).

We found this out by R & D on exhaust on the our Dyno. With an after market exhaust system, you can go with a full straight turbo back system. The kicker is being that you do lose hp in your mid-range levels do to not having an addiquate enough back pressure for the turbo. Now that is on a stock application, i can not vouch for running an aftermarket turbo.

Predatortruck said:
The kicker is being that you do lose hp in your mid-range levels do to not having an addiquate enough back pressure for the turbo.

You need backpressure on a turbo? :poke: :poke:

ok i am going to say this but it will sound wierd, you do not need back pressure for a turbo but then in a sense you do. You only need just a hair to allow the exhaust pressure to hang in the turbo just for a sec to help generate the spooling. You can run an open exhaust and have no problem but from our experience with them you do loose a somoe hp. Now that could be 10hp the most i have seen is 50hp. So it does sound wierd....

my truck is an 04 and it only had a muffler. no cat or anything. when i replaced my exhuast system with a magnaflow it was just a bunch of pipes and a muffler and a tip..........no cat. Now if i remove my muffler will more black smoke come out the tail pipe when i get on it ??

dammmit..........i wanna black out an intersection. with my TST as long as i hold the pedal to the floor and i'm in a high setting like 7/3 or 8/3 it shoots out black smoke for the duration of the time i hold my foot on the gas. but when i sit there boosting i can only boost till like 10 psi at 2500 RPM but no black smoke is shooting out. its when i let my foot of the brake from boosting that i start to move will the black smoke come pooring out. can someone tell me why that is ?????

Disconnect the map sensor spur and plug the stocker in...that may cause stupid smoke

Ok so i shouldnt go with the stright 4"? I should go with 4" with just a muffler?

No so in Canada about your warranty. They are just as sticky as they are in the USA.

The new trucks aren't going to like much aftermakret items with all the enviro crap on board. If you think it is bad now - wait a few months.

Wyatt Earp said:
No so in Canada about your warranty. They are just as sticky as they are in the USA.

The new trucks aren't going to like much aftermakret items with all the enviro crap on board. If you think it is bad now - wait a few months.

Oh Really?

I had a person that works for Pacbrake tell me that they basically would not sell a brake to a canadian with factory warranty because of all the problems they have had...

Thats what I get for second party information.

Well I think I know who you are talking about so maybe that's true. I just state the facts. You need to pay to play. DC sells a brake but it can't be installed by anyone but them and I think the Pac is better anyway.