Any 03-04's with flux 1 or 1.5's

Spurrinit

I've had my flux 1.5 (60hp) injectors for almost a year now with no problems. The truck runs great and starts and idles good. but I do have a few interesting things happening since they were installed and was curious if anyone has had the same things happen to them. The truck black smokes noticeably more, the exhaust reeks like its really rich at idle, My mileage is down by maybe a 1-2 mpg, and my oil turns black a lot sooner than it did pre fluxs.

None of these things really worry me but these injectors weren't supposed to smoke more or hurt mileage and it seems they have done both. I am not complaining nor am I unhappy with these injectors i would just like to hear if anyone else has had the same experiences or insight.

thanks

I wonder if it is because the stock nozzles have 8 holes and the Flux nozzles have 5 holes, which could potentially really affect fuel atomizaztion in the piston bowl

I wonder if it is because the stock nozzles have 8 holes and the Flux nozzles have 5 holes, which could potentially really affect fuel atomizaztion in the piston bowl

I have heard this theory before and you may be right on. Maybe Don will see this and chime in.

If this in fact what is causing it then I wouldn't have bought them if I knew they smoked more and hurt mileage.

Yeah not sure, but it would make sense.....

Some performance nozzles are made with 5 holes to better cope with the higher pressure some guys want to run in their trucks. I am only running a Smarty SR POD programmer......

Interesting quotes:

"8 holes (2003/2004 Dodge trucks) will give you really good flow at nice PSI, and will get phenomenal fuel atomization and dispersion."

"If you have 8 holes, you get one flame every 45 degrees around the fuel bowl. If you cut that number back to 5 you get one flame every 72 degrees and it is proportionally larger (and hotter) than the 8 hole ones"

So would the 40 hp flux 1's give me the same issues?

I would really like for don to see this, does he ever lurk in this section?

Eli, how's the smoke & mileage with the rail pressure turned up (light foot, of course)?

Mine had problems too, Don never satisfied my problems. PM me for more details.
I do not want to start a flame war, but I think Don M. has a lot of blind loyalty here.

I've had my flux 1.5 (60hp) injectors for almost a year now with no problems. The truck runs great and starts and idles good. but I do have a few interesting things happening since they were installed and was curious if anyone has had the same things happen to them. The truck black smokes noticeably more, the exhaust reeks like its really rich at idle, My mileage is down by maybe a 1-2 mpg, and my oil turns black a lot sooner than it did pre fluxs.

None of these things really worry me but these injectors weren't supposed to smoke more or hurt mileage and it seems they have done both. I am not complaining nor am I unhappy with these injectors i would just like to hear if anyone else has had the same experiences or insight.

thanks

You could have a weak injector. Stinky exhaust with a 1.5 is not something I have never heard before. One could be out of calibration at lower delivery rates for example.

I get feedback on mileage both directions. Some swear they have an improvement with a 1.5 and some say theirs got worse. Towing or empty.

You can always send them to me. We dont charge existing customers for injector testing. Never have. You just pick up return shipping. Usually about 25 bucks with insurance to cover them being or stolen.

Oh, all performance injectors add to the soot level of the engine. More fuel = more soot. Not much we can do on that. Without a huge mess of a thread on extended drain cycles I will just say that on my rigs I change the oil more often on anything that is not stock.

Eli, how's the smoke & mileage with the rail pressure turned up (light foot, of course)?

I don't really have a way to control the rail pressure other than my dr performance box which only raises pressure starting at a certain boost pressure. With a light foot the rail pressure stays stock. I have played around with the smarty jr and it hasn't effected the smoke or mileage much either.

You could have a weak injector. Stinky exhaust with a 1.5 is not something I have never heard before. One could be out of calibration at lower delivery rates for example.

I get feedback on mileage both directions. Some swear they have an improvement with a 1.5 and some say theirs got worse. Towing or empty.

You can always send them to me. We dont charge existing customers for injector testing. Never have. You just pick up return shipping. Usually about 25 bucks with insurance to cover them being or stolen.

Oh, all performance injectors add to the soot level of the engine. More fuel = more soot. Not much we can do on that. Without a huge mess of a thread on extended drain cycles I will just say that on my rigs I change the oil more often on anything that is not stock.

Thank you Don for your reply. So if I sent them back to you and one was out of calibration would there be a cost involved in fixing it? How quick could you turn them around?

So do you agree that something is not right and this is something I should definitely do? I would hate to go through the trouble of pulling them and sending them to you and you say that they all check out good and it was just the nature of the beast all along.

thanks again for your help.

Send them. If I cant find an injector running rich, then we can do other things like change nozzles to a 6 hole or 8 hole to see if that helps you.

Have you checked the valve lash? Are all the cylinders making good compression? A weak cyl can make a stinky smoke like you described. Caused from low compression or lash adjustments

Send them. If I cant find an injector running rich, then we can do other things like change nozzles to a 6 hole or 8 hole to see if that helps you.

Have you checked the valve lash? Are all the cylinders making good compression? A weak cyl can make a stinky smoke like you described. Caused from low compression or lash adjustments

I haven't checked the valve lash since I set it when I installed the injectors. I will check it again. Not sure about a weak cylinder but I'm not having any other symptoms.