Any good air bags set ups for second gen?

David Jay Yoder

Hey guys new to comp diesel here looking for some recommendations on a rear air bag set up on my 2001 2500 4x4. Its going to be my work truck so I plan to tow 5-6 days a week.

Was looking at air lift 5000 kit but as near as I can tell they don't make a specific one for the older trucks so its more like a one size fits all. I just don't want to get something that doesn't fit or is too big of a pain to install. Also truck has a gooseneck hitch if that matters any.

Any advice/recommendations Id appreciate Thanks!

Firestone ride rite. I used a cheap harbor freight compressor, only issue was the check valve on it, started leaking after a while, so I needed to put a valve in to hold the air in the bags.

Firestone ride rite. I used a cheap harbor freight compressor, only issue was the check valve on it, started leaking after a while, so I needed to put a valve in to hold the air in the bags.
Thanks for the reply!did you have to drill any to install it?

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

It has been so long, if I did drill it was very minimal. It was more difficult doing the air compressor setup than the bag install.

On my 08, I have one toggle switch that turns the compressor on(bought a better compressor this time), one toggle switch that has a solenoid to release air pressure, I think used the auxillary pressure sensor with my edge CTS2 for pressure display. I also 'T'd into the system and have a shrader valve at the rear of the truck so external air can fill the system up.

I vote for ride rites as well. I prefer to sell those over the air lift brand. However air lift has the one style bag that has a rubber stand built in the bag so you can run them with no air.

Ok appreciate the input guys!I'll have to check out the ride rites

Hardest part about doing them on my 98 3500, was trying to get the axle back onto the leafs, which isn't hard normally, but I was on a gravel pad and may or may not have been intoxicatingly intoxicated.

Point is, it's pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vote for ride rites as well. I prefer to sell those over the air lift brand. However air lift has the one style bag that has a rubber stand built in the bag so you can run them with no air.

This would be absolutely wonderful. Our back roads are so bumpy. It was bad before but with my ride rites, even at 8lb of air pressure, it's even worse.

This would be absolutely wonderful. Our back roads are so bumpy. It was bad before but with my ride rites, even at 8lb of air pressure, it's even worse.

Unless I'm going off the beaten path, I still run my ride rites with no air. I know you're not supposed to but I do. Luckily I've not pinched one yet. I also have the flat bed so I sometimes try and keep air in them.

Unless I'm going off the beaten path, I still run my ride rites with no air. I know you're not supposed to but I do. Luckily I've not pinched one yet. I also have the flat bed so I sometimes try and keep air in them.

It's not pinching that is the issue, its when the bag creates a vacuum inside when it stretches going over bumps that sucks the bag in on itself and creates heat and wear. More likely to blow a bag prematurely.

Then how are the air lift bags helping with the rubber stand built in any different?

Went ahead and bought a set up from Firestone anything pre 03 is a standard type kit so may be a Lil more work than I hoped for since its not special made.hope it won't be too bad

a89d095dbfad3881ab40f1ed841a83aa.jpg

Drivers side toolbox.

That be a good spot but I got a pick up bed so no side boxes