any ideas to help get my turbo going ..

triton

Scarlet Fever
you can see my trucks build in the sig. I obviously have a lot of fuel to get rid of, especially down low. Right now, it smokes like crazy while fighting to spool but once spooled, goes great. The EGT's are still a bit of a problem though. I believe my drive pressures is really low and I'm not sure with what I have, how to fix that without electronics. If there is... please tell !

I have a smarty but, feel I need something stacked to assist it. The problem there is there's nothing available that works on a late model 5.9L. I could use a program that doesn't fuel until some boost is built.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but, I feel a smaller turbo would be too small and a larger one would make the truck, not so drivable. Twins are an option but, not right at the moment.

bottom line... I need less smoke, quicker spool up and power all over the place without going bakwards with hp. :pop: Any ideas ?

man, I must have left a stink bomb the last time I was here. The last two times in fact since neither post got any replies.

You guys are suppose to be the experts ( racers and pullers ) and I know my questions aren't that hard. Just looking for some good advice, not secrets.

How much did you end up decking the pistons? What happens when you run the Smarty on a level with less or no additional timing? I believe the ones with less timing are even-numbered. That less timing should help spool up. Is the Smarty the only electronic box? Have you checked with Bob Wagner to see if there's a different flash that would help?

Ah, you may want to ask a Mod to move this to the Dodge Competition and Performance section instead of the 3rd gen section.

joefarmer said:
How much did you end up decking the pistons? What happens when you run the Smarty on a level with less or no additional timing? I believe the ones with less timing are even-numbered. That less timing should help spool up. Is the Smarty the only electronic box? Have you checked with Bob Wagner to see if there's a different flash that would help?

Ah, you may want to ask a Mod to move this to the Dodge Competition and Performance section instead of the 3rd gen section.

Thanks for the reply Brandon. The pistons had .030 taken off them. The ended up going with stock Cummins pistons also. My compression should be around 15:1.

I have all the smarty softwares there are but, they don't seem to work real well. I have been working with Bob and he's been a great help but can only do so much.

One problem I found I may be having is my fuel pressure it too high. Apparently it;s where I may may been getting the timing rattle from. That just a matter of adjustment which I need to check out.

Smarty seems to be the only box that will work on a 07 and has a good amount of power. If there's something else that works... I don't know of it. I could use to be rid of the speed/rev limiter and have different programming that will wait to fuel until a certain amount of boost has been reached.

I posted this here because the last two posts I made in the other section never got any replys. I figured there's more knowledge about 2nd gens there and I need 3rd gen help.

If a mod reads this... if you think it would help, please move it to the comp section ;-)

in talking with people about this I get conflicting answers to help solve the issue. Some say, twins, others say smaller injectors and others say smaller turbo.

I talked to Rip today and he has very close to the same set up I do. He has the same problem and does have twins. He seems to think if I lower the fuel pressure I may have some luck. ? I hope it does help.

I talked to Dave at HTT and he's doesn't think going smaller will help. He thinks the turbo I have is a good place to be. ?

I thought my injector might be a problem as I'm not sure what Scheid did to them. I had the tips done by extrude hone. So, I pulled the yesterday and sent them off to Don. Don says he doesn't think anything needs to be done to them and that a larger turbo will help . ?

I don't want to go backwards to fix the problem. It would defeat all the work that's been done. I also don't want a totally undriveable truck on the street. There's got to be a medium there somewhere.

I know this can't be solved through typing and I'm just hoping for some good suggestions as to what things I can try to help spooling and cutting back the early fueling.

Have you set the Smarty for larger injectors? I believe the Smarty will reduce the Injector duration (low RPM or boost?) if set to larger Injectors.

Burner said:
Have you set the Smarty for larger injectors? I believe the Smarty will reduce the Injector duration (low RPM or boost?) if set to larger Injectors.

I haven't tried all the softwares but, have tried all the beta softwares. I've found that part of my timing rattle is being caused by too much fuel pressure. Once I lower it, I'll try some of the softwares again. It may not be smarty at all causing poor performance. It always worked great before.

I didn't realize dual pumps would be such a hassle or I'd have spent the money on something else.

Fuel and Air.
Too much fuel not enough air. <<<< This is you.

I bet this timing rattle happens when the black is rolling?
Does the smoke clear up after it lights?
My guess, since you don't want to back up on fuel would be to use twins to make up for the lag. ?!?!
Could it be the cam timing might be on the retarded side?

Snedge said:
Fuel and Air.
Too much fuel not enough air. <<<< This is you.

I bet this timing rattle happens when the black is rolling?
Does the smoke clear up after it lights?
My guess, since you don't want to back up on fuel would be to use twins to make up for the lag. ?!?!
Could it be the cam timing might be on the retarded side?

Yes, that is me.

yes, there's more rattle while the smoke is rolling. I need to lower my fuel pressure to maybe get rid of that.... hopefully it will.

It's not that I don't want to back up on the fuel, I don't want to back up on HP. I was hoping there was some sort of electronics that would help cut back the fueling and give me more air down low.

I don't know about the cam. It's a Helix II which Scheid installed who BTW, have been NO HELP AT ALL !! Maybe Don will chime in with a answer to that if he can ?

Well it is possable, you know ,to make more power (hp) with less fuel.
I don't think electronics can fix the physics.

Snedge said:
Well it is possable, you know ,to make more power (hp) with less fuel.
I don't think electronics can fix the physics.

yes, I suppose you could but, more fuel also gives you more ability for bigger hp.

I thought electronics would be what was needed to control events. If it's not... I'm not sure as to what will.

do you have a loose or tight torque converter?

what is your setup again?

I would think with your Helix cam, you could spool a big turbo off the line.

Also, try just the regular downloads off the Smarty website; if you have stock injectors/aftermarket turbo, download that program.

hope this helps

WUnderwood said:
do you have a loose or tight torque converter?

what is your setup again?

I would think with your Helix cam, you could spool a big turbo off the line.

Also, try just the regular downloads off the Smarty website; if you have stock injectors/aftermarket turbo, download that program.

hope this helps

My converter is tight. It was mentioned to me to loosen it up and use a lock up switch but, I would think there are other options that I could look at before tearing into the converter or buying another. Once the turbo lights... it's balls to the walls. It's the low end that's giving me trouble.

I don't know why the cam isn't helping the way I thought it would. With that or EGT's. My turbo isn't that big. My mods are in my sig in the first post. I do plan to try some of the other softwares for smarty but, figured the betas were where it's at. I think all the beta heavily fuel though.

I was also told the MP-8 will only make matters worst. I installed it but, haven't got the chance to try it out yet.

Thanks for the suggestions !

It's easier to do it with a converter. A tight converter sucks for launching (unless you have boost first). I always run a stock stall. Turbos love stall.

It's not your turbo. Stock is a 62mm. Going to a 64 doesn't hurt much. I bet if you had a stock turbo, you'd notice the same thing.

chrleb1 said:
It's easier to do it with a converter. A tight converter sucks for launching (unless you have boost first). I always run a stock stall. Turbos love stall.

It's not your turbo. Stock is a 62mm. Going to a 64 doesn't hurt much. I bet if you had a stock turbo, you'd notice the same thing.

Well, I asked Garmon who install in the tranny for me what the stall was on it and he said.... " what stall " so I assume it's a tight converter. Before all the mods on a stock turbo I was getting 1.8 60ft times which I didn't think was too bad for the weight of my truck.

I don't think I'll have too much trouble at the track getting it spooled because I have the time to get it lit but, street driving is another story.

I think your going the right direction addressing the converter.
I had the EXACT same deal you have.
It would drop lumps of coal out the tail pipe until it lite then hang the f@*k on!!

I would bet you a dollar if you had a looser converter int there your problem would be non existent.

You have the fuel, you dont have enough RPM to move it..

dan

zukgod1 said:
I think your going the right direction addressing the converter.
I had the EXACT same deal you have.
It would drop lumps of coal out the tail pipe until it lite then hang the f@*k on!!

I would bet you a dollar if you had a looser converter int there your problem would be non existent.

You have the fuel, you dont have enough RPM to move it..

dan

Ok thanks. I'm hearing this a lot now so there must be something to it. I suppose if lowering the fuel pressure or changing the FCA on the duramax pump doesn't work, I'll have to get into the tranny.

what kind of egts are you seeing, i would think that charger would lite fast, unless the pressure of the fuel isnt right, how is the rail pressure. a buddy of mine has duel pumps and said that they like lower pressure. what about running a boost reference to the supply pump so it would ramp up as boost does. or have you check for any boost leaks anywhere on the system? jsut some thoughts

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, pulling the trans isnt fun but I think your problem will be taken care of if you can get that mill spinning faster sooner.

BTW, I had a HTT turbo as well, 125hp sticks, Drag comp, 150 FASS etc etc etc. Loose converter solved my MANY MANY threads of "Cant get the damn turbo to spool".
Hell I couldnt get the damn thing to build boost from a stop to save my life.

It would black out the 5 lane freeway if i wanted it to though :)

dan

you may be putting the fire out with so much fuel, i would try a set of smaller injectors first, maybe there is something wrong with the modded rail? of course it is all about pressure and air mixture in the cylinder, so to much fuel at once is goign to snuff the fire b4 the fuel and air are compressed enough to fully explode, ehnce all the unburnt fuel down low. i would think a 62 over a modded s400 would be the way to go with air suppy, imo