Anyone gone from a 2nd gen to a 3rd gen?

B.A.Ram

A Big Deal
If so how do you like it? Would you do it again or keep your 2nd? I love the way my 2nd sounds, performs well, but I am tired of driving a standard and I want four full doors so I have been eyeing the mega cabs with a 5.9. I don't want a 6.7...:confused:

I like the power and the tranny (auto) but don't like the flimsy bed and tailgate that holds water. It's also too quiet. Went from a 2001 non H.O. to a 2004.5 600

Well not really, if you go 2wd and change your own oil you will love that it now only takes one person to change the filter easily (instead of having to get under the truck and twist while somebody fishes it down to you) but you will hate how much lower they sit than the 2nd gen 2wd's. The drain plug has only one speed as well...wide open. you do have to take off more air intake stuff when you change oil. Fuel filter is a little trickier to get off due to the common rail being mounted right over the filter. But if it will lay down rubber then it's fine with me. At w.o.t. it will give a nice little haze...stock. :evil :evil :evil

I just went from a 2nd get to a 3rd about 3 weeks ago. I like it. I deopped a valve seat in my '02 and it killed the engine! Thats the only reason I got a new truck. I wanted to try an auto so I could do a built tranny and I think the 3rd gens are just wicked in the power department! I do miss the 566 hp that my 2nd gen had though, until I get a built tranny!

Big Smoky said:
I just went from a 2nd get to a 3rd about 3 weeks ago. I like it. I deopped a valve seat in my '02 and it killed the engine! Thats the only reason I got a new truck. I wanted to try an auto so I could do a built tranny and I think the 3rd gens are just wicked in the power department! I do miss the 566 hp that my 2nd gen had though, until I get a built tranny!

Big Smoky, I assuming you did your research on em before hand. I know my 2nd gen is known for the weak lift pump and injector pump but that's about it. What, if any, problems are the new common rails known for besides making crazy horsepower???? :rockwoot:

Weak lift pumps and injectors go bad on them sometimes and can cause all sorts of issues. Other than that, just standard dodge problems.

I went from my 02 to this 06 last year....and other than I prefer the sound of my 02....this 06 eats it alive. Smoother, and much more powerful than my 2nd gen.....plus when modding....it much easier too make big power!!

sounds good fellas...gonna go drive a couple this weekend..see how things turn out:woohoo:

If you go drive one and price is not a concern to you then you might as well get that hand ready to sign those papers because you will want it!

I've never had a problem changing oil filters on 2nd gens :confused:

they're pretty much better in every way except the exhaust note

Had a '99 5-speed regular cab, now I have an '06 6-speed Megacab. Love the '06 better but miss the '99 sometimes.

NPloysa said:
Had a '99 5-speed regular cab, now I have an '06 6-speed Megacab. Love the '06 better but miss the '99 sometimes.

that's what I'm afraid of...

you'll definately miss it... my GM has a '96 with over 400k on it and the company finally pretty much 'made' him buy a new truck (he'd been pocketing a good amount of his truck allowance each month :) )

so he went and bought an '06 Mega Cab

for every day duty, hauling equipment, etc. he STILL uses the 96! :D He lets his wife drive the '06 and he takes it on longer trips.

like he says "nothin' beats meat and potatos"

someone on TDR made an excellent point concerning this same subject... after a few months, the new wears off, and it's just another truck... and it's got a higher payment, etc. but they were comparing new to a 12v. since yours is a 24v, I'd lean more towards a 3rd gen. They really ARE nice trucks.

I'm not happy with my 06 mega. The fuel mileage sucks, the seats give me back pain there so hard, it looks and feels cheaper than my 01, and cost more. They only thing I do like about it is the room. The back of my seat isn't getting kicked anymore. If I had to do it over agian I would have taken my 01 down to bayer (sp) and had it converted to a crew cab. I hate this thing so much I went and bought a 97. The wife likes it so she can have it.

I actually went backwards and would do it again in a heart beat! i liked my 04.5 but the seats sucked! they made my legs go to sleep on trips, fuel mileage wasn't bad but my second gen gets much better. All generations have their faults and need improving on so dive in, there is always an after market to fix whatever complaints you have just as long as you have the $$...$.02

drove one of the new 6.7's....it was quick...but no DPF for me..Keeping the ol girl, ordered road armor and a fass this week. Keeping the truck and getting a car

Ive had a 95 SC 4x4 that had 340,000 on it and made about 400 hp and was paid off wished i would have kept it then got a 99 ex cab LB 4x4 had way to many problems got a heck of a deal on trade to my 03 QC SW SB 3500 love the truck the body panels are kinda flimsy and it doesnt have the big rig sound but it handles and stops like a corvette and have had zero problems in 50000 miles love the power smarty, fass, ATS 5 star billet input and sucoast rebuild, HTS valve body sounds like you already made your decison though

I'm thinking about doing the same thing, getting rid of my 02 and getting a 06-07. Only think I don't like is the sound of the CR's, my 02 sounds alot better IMO. But other than sound, I'm thinking I'll enjoy it more. Whats everyones opinions on the 6 speed manuals vs 6 speed autos? I have a nv5600 right now, how does the G56 compare strenght wise? I also heard the new 6 speed auto is really nice, any info on its strength? I won't be modding this one till the warranty is out(maybe a Smarty), but always swore no autos again, but I have heard some real good stuff. Any factual info/experience would be greatly appreciated.