Anyone have a picture of a 5.9 Common rail piston?

McRat

Need to see how the bowl is shaped to settle a dispute.

do you want the piston itself? or can a shot of a shortblock do?

Admit it Pat, you really swapped in a Cummins and are trying to figure out spray patterns..... LOL

McRat said:
Need to see how the bowl is shaped to settle a dispute.
try these

Attachments

• cylinder3.jpg
    cylinder3.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 61
  • cylinder5.jpg
    cylinder5.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 71
lmills said:
do you want the piston itself? or can a shot of a shortblock do?

Need to see what shape the "bowl" in the piston is. Any pic is better than nothing. Here is what a cross section of a Dmax piston looks like:

Attachments

• LBZLLYpiston2.pdf
    5.5 KB · Views: 230
Apparently this might be related to piston cracking issues the Dmaxes are seeing on some engines.

Notice how the Dmax bowl has a "lip", this is called a re-entrant bowl shape, because the injector sprays on the flat, the lip, then in the bowl.

Looks like the Cummins is not "re-entrant".

No.... the Cummins is not "rear-entrant" like the Dmax is LOL

Pat, I can get a pic of a piston out of the engine later today and will post it this evening for you if you need it.

Timbeaux38 said:
No.... the Cummins is not "rear-entrant" like the Dmax is LOL

No, it's the 12v OWNERs that are rear-entrant, mostly receivers. :D

McRat said:
No, it's the 12v OWNERs that are rear-entrant, mostly receivers. :D

You would know alot about looking at the rear of a 12v. LOL I bet you can spell Dodge with your eyes closed LOL

Pat, there is no way you could possibly have any first hand knowledge of 12v owners being rear-entrant.......... You cant get close enough to their rear end to find out LOL

Dennis Perry said:
Are you saying the Duramax takes it in the rear:hehe: .

Dennis

Only if we hit the brakes when a Dodge is behind us! :D

Timbeaux38 said:
Run that 10 yet Pat? LOL

Hell, I can't even DRIVE it yet!! :D

I'll be cutting it very close for Vegas. Parts that were supposed to arrive still hadn't. :9

We are showing up whether or not we have the truck ready. Might almost be fun to go to races as a spectator for once.

NAW!!!:D

the 03-04 piston is alot different than a 04.5 and up.
it has a re-entrant type of bowl, what advantages or disadvantages do you see with this set up?

On the Dmaxes, if the lip gets too hot, the piston cracks. A lipless design is being discussed by Guy Tripp of SoCalDiesel, and I think he has a good point.

So you've given up trying to beat us, no you want to copy our pistons in hopes it will make your engine better :)

JK McRat, I have a lot of respect for those Duramaxes, just don't like the wrapper they come in.

George