Anyone know? have this issue?

Diesel04064

I have a 1997 regular cab long bed 4 wheel drive Cummins with an automatic. I'm in the process of swapping in a NV 4500 out of a 2000 regular cab long bed 4 wheel drive. I have ran into a few issues with the swap.

HYDRAULICS are different but ordered a new set from SBC:blahblah1:

the transfer case linkage from my 1997 bolts to the drivetrain opposed to the later style that bolts to the floor pan. does anyone know a way to make this work correctly, I would like to retain the 2000 floor console. also where the linkage goes through the floor could someone give me a measurement of how far back it fits and approximately the offset from the hole in the floor pan So I can locate it correctly?

I found A transfer case linkage it says its good for Dodge Ram pickups between 98 to 2001 I was wondering if the linkage was different from automatic to manual transmission trucks. And where it was located in the floor?

I would like to do it the correct way and just buy the linkage out of a 1998+ truck but before I do I want to make sure that they are the same in autos and manuals or different..

LASTLY, my 1997 has the speed sensor in the tail housing to the transfer case, the 2000 does not have a speed sensor. can I just swap the tail housing itself or do I have to completely disassemble and swap the input shafts. I remove the plug on the top of the tail housing to the transfer case but I could not see a speedometer gear In the 2000. Both are np241dhd cases? Other options?

this is my 5th cummins and my first NV 4500 swap and since I bought this truck two months ago it has been a nightmare, anything that can go wrong will and has. Just want to finish the swap

2074236346 Ray :thankyou2:

Last edited:
You'll either have to swap input shafts for your speedo or some have had luck using epoxy to put a gear on the output shaft of newer t cases. I put a 271 in my truck and used an SGI-5 box from Dakota digital and piggybacked it into my ABS wiring to use the sensor in the rear end to get my speedo working. Only benefit to that is now I can adjust my speedo for different tire size or gear ratio, etc. using the buttons on the box.

I have the same swap that was done before I bought my truck. I do know the 98 and later transfer case shifter is in the same place as the auto but the shift pattern is differant then the older 12v trucks. I can get you a measurement when I get home today but I'm pretty sure it just comes up through the floor and is only attached to the drivetrain. I could be wrong or missing something but my t case is very hard to shift. Could be that the linkage isn't adjusted right but that's a issue farther down the list right now.

I ran into the same issue as you with the hydros. Mine were shot so I ordered a new set from valair. Turns out the non adjustable rod for the 94-97 was too short so then I got the sbc hydros for a 98-02. It twist locked to the fire wall fine but the rod is at a severe upward angle in order to conect with the clutch pedal. I think this is why I'm getting a super stiff clutch pedal and not disengaging all the way.

A few hack mechanics had my truck before me so like you I have had alot of sorting out to do and I'm learning along the way. I have had lots of good insight from this forum. Good luck

I got I all together and running, this truck has been riddled with alot of little things along the way. The swaps simple but learned differences along the way is what takes time and $

I got I all together and running, this truck has been riddled with alot of little things along the way. The swaps simple but learned differences along the way is what takes time and $

I'm sorry I know I said I would get the measurement for you. I got home late and didn't get a chance to. Glad you got it figured out.

I'm curious as to how your hydros are. You have the south bend hd unit with a adjustable rod?

I can't figure out why my the rod on my master is at such a upward angle to connect to the clutch pedal. My pedal assembly is from a 98 or later truck so I'm not sure if there is a differance between the years or not or if is adjustable.