Anyone out there with a caterpillar conversion?

Yes, the 5.9L is a "throwaway" engine...but how many of them grenade at 210hp often enough that you have to keep a spare if you have more than 5 of them running?

I know all about the 3208's in pullers...5000hp seems a bit high, but it's also an alky engine, not diesel...which is a lot easier on the blocks;) Not exactly comparable to what is more reliable and powerful out on the road pulling 50-60K lbs...IMHO!

Chris
I never said any of the above engines would be worth a swap other than to be different. I'm just clearing up the throwaway engine argument. A lot of people would read that and assume they're somehow different that any other small engine. Hell I'm not a powerstroke fan but the 7.3 is a pretty reliable engine if you leave it alone as are a some of the smaller Cats.

The only reason I put the part about the 3208 pulling tractors is because it isn't the engine that's holding you back from big HP, it's usually your wallet. LOL Hell the 5.9 Cummins wouldn't have as many aftermarket HP parts if it was never installed in a pickup. Pick whatever diesel engine you want, if any of the big 3 would have used it in a truck someone would have modded it.

Oh and even a B cummins pulling 50-60k would be a gutless POS also so I'm not holding that against any of the small engines regardless of brand.:1tooth:

That's right about them all being pigs in medium duties. They just worked on a little different principle than what we want in p/u's, it's the torque rise that did it's job. Not that I'm defending the little Cat's at all, they just were low hp and highish torque with a pretty steep torque rise. They can be made to run though like anything else. I thought long and hard about stuffing a Cat into my Superduty instead of the Cummins. Steven

Oh and even a B cummins pulling 50-60k would be a gutless POS also so I'm not holding that against any of the small engines regardless of brand.:1tooth:

Yeah, but it can't be any worse than the CAT...especially when I'm done with it:D

Chris

i really must correct your list of horrible cat engines. the 3306 in a highway truck wins top place on my list of boat anchors

Back