anyone running 05-07 w/ 200K ? what problems / maintence should I be aware of?

Fummins 6.0

my cousin wants to sell me his really nice late 2006 2500 crew cab long bed 4x4 automatic with almost 200K miles..... everything stock except exhaust and a bullydog. but does have a built trans.

he said he hasn't had any problems with it but was going to get the valves adjusted....... anything else I should know about? when do cp3's go out? are the push rods still reliable?????

all im going to do is air intake if not done already. rip bully dog off and add EFI and make it a max of 425 wrhp.. and drive it to and from work and use it as a work truck.

thanks

Check for blow by oil cap placed on hole if it blows off broken rings otherwie it's ok.
Injectors are due for replacement cost about 3000.! Push rods are not an issue! front and rear main seals.
CP3 is a dice throw depends on type of fuel run in the truck. Is there a 2 micron filter before the CP3?

Check for blow by oil cap placed on hole if it blows off broken rings otherwie it's ok.
Injectors are due for replacement cost about 3000.! Push rods are not an issue! front and rear main seals.
CP3 is a dice throw depends on type of fuel run in the truck. Is there a 2 micron filter before the CP3?

pretty sure theres no aftermarket lift pump, so it would be stock fuel filter..... and I don't know the micron size. (first dodge i'll own can you tell yet?lol) but the truck has probably had at least 30-40% of its life ran on off road fuel, which I run every day and never had a problem. but I know its def. a dirtier fuel than from on highway.

how do you check blow by again? I don't understand.
thanks

pretty sure theres no aftermarket lift pump, so it would be stock fuel filter..... and I don't know the micron size. (first dodge i'll own can you tell yet?lol) but the truck has probably had at least 30-40% of its life ran on off road fuel, which I run every day and never had a problem. but I know its def. a dirtier fuel than from on highway.

how do you check blow by again? I don't understand.
thanks

The only difference between on road and off road fuel is red dye, with the engine running remove the oil fill cap and place it back on the fill hole without screwing it back in if the cap won't sit on the hole without falling off you have broken piston rings.

With stock filter only I'm surprised they lasted this long! When you replace the injectors put in the 2 micron and you'll have trouble free injectors for a LONG time! take 3 grand off the price for injectors!

Most of what you should look for has been mentioned above. I know of atleast two instances where a bullydog and 06-07 ecms have not been cohesive. One instane the ecm was trashed, and the other was fixed. It's been quite some time since that happened though. I think youll be alright with that though if its been on for sometime. Has it been in for any recall work?

Most of what you should look for has been mentioned above. I know of atleast two instances where a bullydog and 06-07 ecms have not been cohesive. One instane the ecm was trashed, and the other was fixed. It's been quite some time since that happened though. I think youll be alright with that though if its been on for sometime. Has it been in for any recall work?

no idea on the recal.... but thank you for all the help.

The only difference between on road and off road fuel is red dye, with the engine running remove the oil fill cap and place it back on the fill hole without screwing it back in if the cap won't sit on the hole without falling off you have broken piston rings.

ok I'll try that with the cap.

everyone says that about off road and on road fuel that its just the dye anymore...... but either I've been getting old red fuel for a few years now or theres still a difference,...... I run green fuel, I need new fuel filters every 20K miles or more.... when I only run red fuel,..... I have to change every 10K .............. so I don't know the answer, but to me there's still a difference.

I used to own an 07 5.9 and it had over 200k on it when I got rid of it. Here's a few tips from my experience.

1. These trucks eat ball joints, front axel u-joints and pinion seals.

2. HVAC issues. I eventually traded it in with the AC not working for about 2 years. It had been to the dealer numerous times and it never got fixed. Over the 2 years I had replaced every part of the HVAC system except the condenser and it still didn't work. When I say every part I mean EVERY part.

3. These trucks like to rust out above the rear wheels with time, even if you try to take care of it.

4. The seat bottoms don't seem to hold up real well.

5. I ran as much off-road fuel as on-road and in over 200k I only replaced 1 injector and as far as I know it's still running fine. I only ever ran the factory filter and always used Mopar filters. It seems some people have lots of trouble and others not so much. Dare, I say "luck of the draw". However I agree, if you replace injectors add an additional filter. Common rails are very intolerant of dirty fuel.

6. If running the stock air box and no plans to upgrade be sure to use Mopar air filters. It sounds stupid, but I had trouble with the aftermarket air filters sucking up in the intake.

Good luck! You'll be glad you came to the dark side.

Last edited:
I used to own an 07 5.9 and it had over 200k on it when I got rid of it. Here's a few tips from my experience.

1. These trucks eat ball joints, front axel u-joints and pinion seals.

2. HVAC issues. I eventually traded it in with the AC not working for about 2 years. It had been to the dealer numerous times and it never got fixed. Over the 2 years I had replaced every part of the HVAC system except the condenser and it still didn't work. When I say every part I mean EVERY part.

3. These trucks like to rust out above the rear wheels with time, even if you try to take care of it.

4. The seat bottoms don't seem to hold up real well.

5. I ran as much off-road fuel as on-road and in over 200k I only replaced 1 injector and as far as I know it's still running fine. I only ever ran the factory filter and always used Mopar filters. It seems some people have lots of trouble and others not so much. Dare, I say "luck of the draw". However I agree, if you replace injectors add an additional filter. Common rails are very intolerant of dirty fuel.

6. If running the stock air box and no plans to upgrade be sure to use Mopar air filters. It sounds stupid, but I had trouble with the aftermarket air filters sucking up in the intake.

Good luck! You'll be glad you came to the dark side.

haha! I'll always be a powerstroke /Dmax guy at heart :ford: but thanks for the welcome.

that sucks you had so much HVAC problems!!! I can only imagine!
I def appreciate all the great advice for everyone on here!!!!

SOMETIMES all you get is cocky "know it all" arrogant people who try an belittle you.

ball joints
tie rod ends
injectors are due
cp3 wont be far out depending on how it was treated

A/C does suck. ive reworked mine 3 times

ditch the bully dog and drive it till it gives you problems and go from there.
one day at a time my friend...

Well luck of the draw I guess I've only had to replace ball joints. I put a built transmission in it on my own accord, I run an airdog 150,efilive and a volant CAI with a smeding diesel elbow. Not one problem with HVAC. I will say my driver seat does feel flat, not torn though. Keep up with maintenance and you'll be fine.