Anyone tried lowering a 4x4 with 1/2 ton 2" lift springs?

jeepin87

I've read all I can find on lowering 4x4 trucks... couldn't find anyone that tried 1/2 ton 2" lift springs. My reasoning behind this is I don't want to drive around with only 1" under my bump stops. I also figured the stronger spring rate my combat the nose dive under hard braking experienced with OEM 1/2 ton springs. Wish I was stationed closer to "home" so I could just try it, I have limited resources down here in Arkansas. I miss Indiana!

I'm going to remove the blocks in the rear, for those of you who've done this do you think ride height will be close if I use the lift springs?

I'm not cutting my coils so please don't suggest it.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Jordan

What it sounds like you are after, is a lower front for your 4wd cummins....

OKay.... I wouldnt bother with the 1/2 stuff.... the weight difference between eh cummins, and the 318/360, is TOO much, and will fatigue the spring at a much accelerated rate.......

I have no idea the the inches per pounds rating of the 3/4-1ton diesel springs vice 1/2 ton...

I would get in contact with National Spring(I dont know if they are still around), or Deaver spring(they are), they should be able to make you custom springs....and Eibach as well......

There also may be an aftermarket solution out there as well.. I dont know, not interested in lowering mine

Chase

Go find my thread in the competition section, tons of information on it. I'm using a stock spring which I plan to remove a coil and a half from. With my current d25 skyjacker springs which raise the front 2" I only have 5" of travel between the bump stops and stops so even stock you're only dealing with 3". You could get yourself a set of lowering springs but I'd save yourself the trouble and go with modified stockers but to each their own. Check out the thread, tons of info in it. Don't take the rear blocks out all together or it will sit low in the rear. Stock blocks are 4.75" and if you remove them it will sit low in the rear unless you're sitting on the bump stops. Think about it, the levelin kits raise the front 2" to match the 4.75" blocks. Take the blocks out in the rear and you'd need to lower the front 4.75" from the 2" higher then stock leveled position to get it lower which puts you about .25" from the bump stop in the front. Good luck!

Dave, with airbags they dont have the rigidity needed for drag racing,, but if he is using it for a daily, it might be a good solution

Kevin

FWIW, I bought some 1500 springs after reading about some people using them with success. But they don't freaking fit! The diameter of the coils is way different. Suck!

Thanks for the heads up on the 1/2 ton springs B18B1Ls1

NickTF, I've been following your suspension thread. I just wanted to see if anyone had tried the lifted half ton springs. I have followed a few of your threads, I have twins but I'm extremely interested in your turbo setup.

I also thought about airbags or "helper" springs. Thought about adding some to half ton front coils and using some in the rear with air shocks to stiffen it up when I race or haul a little weight. I never have a big load so it's no big deal.

Coilovers are probably the answer for front and rear but that's more money than I want to invest in it at this point in time. If I find another DD then this one will get the full treatment for the 1/4. I do have a Jeep J10 pickup truck that weighs around 3200lbs... I would love to build a 4bt and play with it instead.

Thanks for the heads up on the 1/2 ton springs B18B1Ls1

NickTF, I've been following your suspension thread. I just wanted to see if anyone had tried the lifted half ton springs. I have followed a few of your threads, I have twins but I'm extremely interested in your turbo setup.

I also thought about airbags or "helper" springs. Thought about adding some to half ton front coils and using some in the rear with air shocks to stiffen it up when I race or haul a little weight. I never have a big load so it's no big deal.

Coilovers are probably the answer for front and rear but that's more money than I want to invest in it at this point in time. If I find another DD then this one will get the full treatment for the 1/4. I do have a Jeep J10 pickup truck that weighs around 3200lbs... I would love to build a 4bt and play with it instead.

Cool man, if the blocks and ubolts get here today or tomorrow I plan to have everything done by the weekend so I'll make sure to follow up on my thread and let ya know how it went.

Interested in the turbo huh, make me an offer so I can get that t70 that everyone needs:rockwoot::Cheer:

Yeah I'd appreciate it! Good luck with everything.

The T70 is a sweet looking turbo. I would think the boost threshold would be a little high for the street, but I bet it moves a lotta air!