Anyone using CALTRACS for pulling?

smokey

I was just wondering if anyone was using these, can they be used for daily driven truck .

JW3 said:
Not for sledpulling.

Why not ?

Curious, I have several sets on customer trucks here and they love them.

Interested in what you believe the shortcoming of the Calvert Product is....?

w

I actually called Caltrac and asked if they recommend using them in a pull and they said go for it. They have several trucks that have pulled with them and haven't broke a thing. I got skeered and didn't end up pulling though. LOL

Double J said:
I actually called Caltrac and asked if they recommend using them in a pull and they said go for it. They have several trucks that have pulled with them and haven't broke a thing. I got skeered and didn't end up pulling though. LOL

I did the same, calling Calvert that is. That's why I began selling these instead of just ladder bars and things that come from lift companies.

Ladder bars deffinaetely reduce axle wrap, but the Caltrac bar is an engineered bar that makes your leaf spring set up a "POOR MANS" 4-Link, which does more for traction. I't true the Caltrac bar is no way sexy like a huge 60" bar, but if you want traction you can't buy on looks alone.

But then again, I don't think Drag Racers and Truck Pullers are interested in traction:hehe::hehe: Just SMOKE.

BTW.... the CALTRACS are ABSOLUTELY FINE for everyday Driving, you will not lose any comfort or OEM ride. And JUST the BARS can be removed in minutes when the :rules: state you can not compete with traction bars....

Wow, that may be more than just $.02

strokersmoker said:
what is caltrac

A traction Bar system designed, pattented, fabricated, and sold by CALVERT Racing out of Cali. They are Drag Racing freaks who found a way to improve muscle cars with leaf spring rear suspensions.

The product works great on turbo diesels and is way more than it looks at first.

http://www.calvertracing.com/

They sell direct and also have dealers... the price for a set of Caltracs is pretty firm at 339.00 anywhere you go.... Plus shippin

I've been running them for about two years and they have performed well for sled pulling

JacktheBear3 said:
It's true the Caltrac bar is no way sexy like a huge 60" bar, but if you want traction you can't buy on looks alone.

I prefer the Stealth look myself. You really have to be looking to figure out....hey something ain't so stock here. :evil

maxedout said:
I've been running them for about two years and they have performed well for sled pulling

Very good to hear this.... it substantiates my claims.

Double J said:
I prefer the Stealth look myself. You really have to be looking to figure out....hey something ain't so stock here. :evil

The Stealth Look is very, very, right.... if you don't look hard you might just miss them, especially after the sund goes down.

JacktheBear3 said:
Why not ?

Curious, I have several sets on customer trucks here and they love them.

Interested in what you believe the shortcoming of the Calvert Product is....?

w

Caltracs in my opinion are a little too light duty for sledpulling. And yes I have owned caltracs....I had them on my 99 auto truck back about 4 years ago...

I think a longer bar is better suited for pulling...

I have been using them for about 2 years. They were a pain in the ass to put on and I went through a set of bars in 1 year. They are ok. If I were to do it over I wouldnt go that way. Long bars the best way to go.
If you do get them be sure to specify the axle you have and anything funny. I had to make a set of bars for them to copy to fit my dana 80 in a 2500 (6-speed H.O.) They will mess with your suspention travel. The will limit up travel so if you plan on putting any weight in the bed you need to take them off.

I have seen a long bed crew cab with them bow the frame enough that the cab and the bed actually touched! The angle that they are at forces the frame up when you put them under a lot of force.

kevin g said:
I have seen a long bed crew cab with them bow the frame enough that the cab and the bed actually touched! The angle that they are at forces the frame up when you put them under a lot of force.

Longer bars are better suited for pulling. When viewing a traction/leaf setup, picture it as a 4link, with a flexible upper link. Leafs that once saw compression forces, now see tension.

The lower link sends 100% of the compression force forward...the flatter the angle this bar sees the more it propels the frame forward, and the more the rear squats.

A shorter bar produces higher anitsquat, thus pushes up on the frame/down on the tires....this is great to push SERIOUS amounts of force from the tire to the ground, but with this will often come wheelhop.

Less antisquat (longer, flatter bar) will put less pressure on the ground (traction)...yet will help get wheelspin up, and in the end will pay off once you are hooking up and not hopping.

I think these bars are designed probably for low vehicles or cars, where it makes the bars flat and very helpful....but on a lifted truck, or even stock...bit too short thus steep

Its a fine balance. Personally, i think they are a bit short, and a bit on the small side (not to say people arent having success)....but they jut look like a better street bar imo $.02

Last edited:
The ones i build for my truck measure just at 7' long. I also used a baby shackle on the frame to allow for a better ride instead of some of the solid mounted bars on the market that don't allow the bar to move at all. On the axle i have mounting points on top and bottom of the axle and all of my axle wrap/ hop is gone with this setup. Will post pics when i get them off my camera.