ANYONE w/12v & 24V Ported Head Flow #'s???

lenahan05

Comp Diesel Sponsor
i'm just wondering if anyone has legite flow #'s and/or charts of their ported and polished cylinder heads. i'm wanting to do some comparisons of who's are the best? i would like some of the competition guys to chime in on this thread. everyones always trying to keep everything a secret but i urge you to let the cat out of the bag for a moment because i am very very interested in some #'s and comparing them to some things ive been working on. list what bench you flowed it on, what size valves were flowed, lift numbers ect.... i would be very appreciative if you guys can get some numbers together and get this thread moving. thank you.

Let me get this right...

You want guys to post their flow numbers from their respective ported heads just because you want to "compare numbers".Then you want the bench it was flowed on,valve sizes,lift numbers etc etc......

You will have a better chance at winning the lottery my friend......Andy

i'm just wondering if anyone has legite flow #'s and/or charts of their ported and polished cylinder heads. i'm wanting to do some comparisons of who's are the best? i would like some of the competition guys to chime in on this thread. everyones always trying to keep everything a secret but i urge you to let the cat out of the bag for a moment because i am very very interested in some #'s and comparing them to some things ive been working on. list what bench you flowed it on, what size valves were flowed, lift numbers ect.... i would be very appreciative if you guys can get some numbers together and get this thread moving. thank you.

I bet you would :hehe:

i figured everyone would act all secretive like it's really a big deal what they flow. just because you have big flow numbers doesn't mean it's guna run good on a motor. geez guys....don't act like your stuff is to good to talk about. any company i've ever asked has gave me rough numbers. i'm not saying they have to be exact numbers. just post a rough estimate. or u can be secretive and think you got the best stuff. but if someone is willing to be open with some good info i'm sure i could also pass on some useful information. that's what this website is for is to learn.

Why not use a chainsaw to cut off the intake and some J-BWeld to hold it together after porting it with the torch?

there have been more than a few posts over the last couple years where maximum flow numbers have been posted

do a search

Isnt anyone gonna tell you thier flow numbers or show graphs - it is the flow under the curve, as well as the maximum that matters

And someone who figured out max under the curve isnt about to give it away
and besides, flow means didly if the manifolds arent flowed with the port

last but not least there are only a few head porters in the country who can give you proper flow numbers under presssurized conditions which is the real tale

Good luck

This thread makes me wonder...

When heads are commonly flowed on a bench, what is motivating the air through the ports? For instance, do they usually place a vacuum on the port outlet, or pressurize the inlet? And either way, to what extent? Perfect vacuum, or something less? And if pressure on the incoming side, how much?

Seems to me, the only thing that determines flow for any given orifice is the pressure differential across that orifice.

What are the standards for flowing a port I guess?

Seems to me, the only thing that determines flow for any given orifice is the pressure differential across that orifice.

yup!!! and regardless of the port shape, once you have two distinct flow values and the differential pressures associated, the rest is just extrapolating using the affinity laws

Sounds like the standard would be a pressure differential of the 28" hg, or ~13.76 psid then.

Wonder where that came from? Easily achieved by a vacuum pump?

would be a fairly large vacuum pump to achieve a throughput of 200 CFM @ 28"Hg

So what kind of magic are you claiming to be working on?

i have a basic street/competition port with 1.870 in. valves and 1.750 ex valves. it's nothing special. intake flows 215cfm at .500 lift and ex flows 182 @.500lift. all flowed at 28in water on a superflow 1020. swirls above 4000 from .300 lift all the way upto .650lift. there's some numbers for you guys to look at. is n e one gunna list some figures and get this thread going.

I have no idea what my head flows, I don't even know where I could take it to have it flowed around my part of town. I spent quite a bit of time on it and used intake valves all the way around. But I can tell you this, it dropped my boost from 46psi-47psi to 38psi-39psi, spoolup was faster, smoke was less dense and EGT's rose slower and maxed out lower.

I have no idea what my head flows, I don't even know where I could take it to have it flowed around my part of town. I spent quite a bit of time on it and used intake valves all the way around. But I can tell you this, it dropped my boost from 46psi-47psi to 38psi-39psi, spoolup was faster, smoke was less dense and EGT's rose slower and maxed out lower.

Didn't you drop a valve though too? Was it an intake valve or an intake valve acting as an exhaust valve?

When heads are commonly flowed on a bench, what is motivating the air through the ports? For instance, do they usually place a vacuum on the port outlet, or pressurize the inlet? And either way, to what extent? Perfect vacuum, or something less? And if pressure on the incoming side, how much?

What are the standards for flowing a port I guess?

To start a flow bench measures a drop in pressure or vacuum across a given orifice. On a scale calibrated to that orifice.
The flow bench has several different orifices on a disc that you rotate depending on the scale you want to measure
I’ve aspent lot of time using one . The one thing that a diesel engine can benefit most from is cylinder head flow. There is nothing more important the air flow, remember with out air , all the fue l in the world will do you no good
The Cummins 24 valve head is at best, very poor in its ability to move air, a stock head at peak flow is around 144 cfm @ 28 inches
The best I have seen is around 270, this is still not enough to feed a Cummins what if would really like
I have seen boost drop by 25 to 30 % at the same or just a little greater power level , with a good ported head and Camshaft program.
This drop in boost means a corresponding drop in drive pressure and retained heat.
I have many flow charts of most every head out there , and its amazing the variance , in a 24 valve if you not removing the intake , your getting a small gain, . The best I have seen is around 185 to 190 cfm. . The restriction is in areas that can not be reached with out removing the intake.

A few misconception and myths
First Myth
First people say that they want to keep velocity up and porting the head hurts this , , this is horse dung , the Cummins head with the best port job possible has unreal velocity thru the runners , if you could make the runners even larger then the water jacked the port is still small.. There is no need to worry about velocity , in that there is no fuel . we are trying to keep in suspension . .

Second Myth I can just crank up the boost and make the same air flow gain, Yes you can to some extent , but the higher boost , has a lot of baggage that comes with it , and most damaging is .Retained Heat in the combustion chamber , second is spool up time and lag. .
You can reduce compression to compensate for this heat , but this is a crutch at best.

Third myth

Resonance tuning in a diesel doesn’t make a difference because your using boost to push air in to the engine . The truth is that even a unboosted engine has pressure pushing air in to the combustion chamber. Its called atmospheric pressure , the combustion chamber is at a vacuum as the piston goes down the bore and 14.7 psi at sea level and 29.29 barometric pressure .
Resonance tuning is using the inertia of a moving column in the runner and port to pack air behind the valve when closed. .
This happens in any engine , and there is a lot of power in this area

Here are a few flow numbers , of stuff several years old .

Back