arp 625's torqued to 125ft-lbs

Marq92

Would 625's at 125ft-lbs have at least the same or more clamping force as 425's @125ft-lbs?

I am wanting to do this because i just need the clamping force of the 2000's but the rigidity of the 625's as extra insurance.

I know that 150ft-lbs for 625's is 75% yield but can i only torque them to125 and they woukd be even more reliable? Thank you.
-Mike

torqueing them less wont make them more reliable. if you bought them then use them and go to spec. they give a spec so that you put the proper amount of preload/stretch on them.

Vegas is so close, you can almost taste it. I promise I can make your stock head bolts hold 600 HP at the wheels, no sweat, which is more than your "planned" future upgrades will make.

LOL stock bolts hold up well and beyond that the 2000s are great! As too the OP's question, you'll be fine with 625s torqued to 125 but why spend all that money on something that's not needed?

torqueing them less wont make them more reliable. if you bought them then use them and go to spec. they give a spec so that you put the proper amount of preload/stretch on them.

I have heard of cylinder distortion from the high clamping load that 625's produce at 150ft-lbs so I thought that since I don't need the high clamping load that they make at 150 I could just go to 125 which I thought would be comparable to 2000's at 125.

Vegas is so close, you can almost taste it. I promise I can make your stock head bolts hold 600 HP at the wheels, no sweat, which is more than your "planned" future upgrades will make.

Haha maybe I'll take the extra drive during hot august nights.

LOL stock bolts hold up well and beyond that the 2000s are great! As too the OP's question, you'll be fine with 625s torqued to 125 but why spend all that money on something that's not needed?

I don't know I thought I was really gonna take care big time but I think I just don't know enough was really starting to overthink the whole deal.

I think I'm gonna just go with 2000's because all of the luck that people have had with them and I probably only gonna only have the super 40 for a long time before I upgrade further.

Well it's settled guys I'm just gonna go with the arp 2000's and stop worrying about and just stick with it. Thanks for knocking the sense into me guys.:bow:

LOL

All those PM's and then this!!! LOL

J/K dude!! Good call...

I think I'm gonna just go with 2000's because all of the luck that people have had with them and I probably only gonna only have the super 40 for a long time before I upgrade further.

Good call! Now, use an MSL gasket, deck prep very critical, no power tools.

Last edited:
LOL

All those PM's and then this!!! LOL

J/K dude!! Good call...

I know man, I just that since I really am only gonna be barely pushing 450hp then why should I spend all the extra money for the 625's when there's a good chance I could just get the 2000's and never have an issue. I still think I'd really be fine with 625's @125ft-lbs because it doesn't make sense that a stronger stud at the same torque of a weaker one would be weaker. I really do appreciate all your help.

Good call! Now, use an MSL gasket, deck prep very critical, no power tools.

I'm thinking of doing them one at a time w/o removing the head.

I know man, I just that since I really am only gonna be barely pushing 450hp then why should I spend all the extra money for the 625's when there's a good chance I could just get the 2000's and never have an issue. I still think I'd really be fine with 625's @125ft-lbs because it doesn't make sense that a stronger stud at the same torque of a weaker one would be weaker. I really do appreciate all your help.

it has to do with preload.....stronger material takes more torque to stretch it into the correct preload , although i think you'd be fine

I still don't see a reason not to do it this way, if you don't have an existing problem. Are you prepping the surfaces different than the factory?

I agree on a cr. But on a vp I would go the extra steps and get the head o-ringed, decked etc...

That's okay man. I just given ya a hard time..
I'll help ya anytime man!!

Smart move here..Save the money...

625's for BIG HP man...