Automatic Nightmare

B-Cummin

I've got the auto trans in my 01 cummins. Months back I ran over a limb on a back road, the limb knocked t-case shifter off and broke the connector on the speed sensor on the trans. I zip tied it together for a quick fix, later forgot about it. The trans started shifting weird and eventually never shifted out of 1st. Took it to a shop, said the connector to sensor and sensor needs replaced. Did it and all has been good, til yesterday going home. I stopped at a stop sign and stalled it up, it spun posi til high into second gear, got traction and I think when it shifted into drive, the truck fell on it's face. Then the crazy shifting started avian. Took it home, checked connector, all good. I pulled the sensor out just to look. The little magnetic plunger thing had a sunflower seed sized piece of metal stuck to it and the tip of the sensor was cracked on the side. Pull metal off and put sensor back and drove to see if stil shifted weird. Yes and no, it's hit and miss. It'll do ok after it shifts outta 1st gear for the first time. Any experienced advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

And the odometer spit out codes P0500 and P0720. I'm sure it's All pointing to the sensor itself nut worried about the lil piece of steel that was stuck to magnet on sensor. I know any kind of loose metal in a trans is not good. When it shifts, everything works like it should. When it doesn't shift (not just 1st gear anymore) it's like a dead pedal or it hits a rev limiter. You can bock off the pedal slowly then it'll speed up a little but the hit the "rev limiter" feeling again.

Speed sensor helps control gov pressure, with no gov pressure it won't upshift.

I planned to pick up a sensor after work anyhow. You have any idea as to why a piece of metal showed up floating around. It looked like a chipped gear tooth, not a slither of metal or a shaving. Could shifting from 2nd to drive on stock auto do damage like that? Other than a quadzilla xzt, it's all stock as far as power goes.