Auxillary Trans Coolers

coon smile

Anyone care showing how/where they have their aux transcoolers mounted?

I plan on mounting it under the bed near the transmission, but I could benefit from seeing some pictures if any are available...

Thanks

Kyle

100_2887.jpg

durring install photo, The cooler is a flex-a-lite 4595

thanks ian....

joel sent a few pics of his setup...if i get his permission, i will post them up here

OK, I got this photobucket account, lemme use it. :pop:

While my heap is a 1st gen, the general ideas could be altered as needed.

- I wanted to install twins.
- I wanted to continue using the OEM transmission cooler/heater (the one under the exhaust manifold).
- I wanted to install a fan assisted suplimental trans fluid cooler.
- I wanted to install a suplimental spin-on trans fluid filter.
- I wanted it all tucked inside the frame rails and not hanging in more harms way outside the rails, under the bed.
- I had some aluminum speed and stop signs of different gages.

So I took this bar & plate Fluidyne cooler.. .

TransCoolerFan.jpg

Whittled on a speed limit sign and came up with this (shown less fan). . .

RawCoolerMount.jpg

That plate on the drive-shaft side is a little over 1/8" thick FWIW. It keeps the grease off the cooler if anything. . .

ProtoMount1.jpg

And stuck it in there between the drivers frame rail and aft of the transfer case, just forward of the fuel tank.. It's rear mount connects to the upper frame cross-bar thing. The front mounts to the rear bracket of the skid-plate (a single bolt there to allow for subtle flexing).

ProtoMount2.jpg

I took another sign (20mph I think) and whittled a bracket that would mount the factory fluid/fluid heat exchanger between the driver's frame rail and the transfer case.

ExchngProtoTranSide.jpg

Nail the exchanger on the trans side . . .

ExchngFitmntTranSide.jpg

The spin-on filter on the other side . . .

ExchngFitmntRailSide.jpg

And there we go . . .

ExchngProtoRear.jpg

Now sneak that boy in there and mount it to the skid-plate mounts, just in front of the new cooler . . .

ExchngMntInPalceSd.jpg

Paint it all satin black, plumb it with AN8 hose and fittings, power the cooler's fan with a switch ~ On / Off / Auto (thermostatically controlled).

Works for me. $.02

Last edited:
We mounted a tranny cooler here, but its for the intercooler:

ICXchanger.jpg