[b]need Help Asap[/b]

BUICKpowerSIX

Ok so my truck overheated on the highway about 5 miles from home. I pulled over and collant is boiling like I was cooking pasta. Let her cool down a bit and get off the highway to take backroads home. I noticed when I was almost home the truck had no power at all wouldnt build boost or soot under wot. I only got maybe 5 lbs of boost. I am running a looney tune which has been in there for close to 50k miles without a problem.

Oh and before the truck overheated I did notice egts climbing much faster than normal.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks

Matt

Oh I forgot to mention there is no smoke at all comming out of the tail pipe.

Last edited:
Loney tune is the cause of your issues...hahah. I would not let DJ tune my lawn mower. What were you doing prior to this incident? Towing or what?

Was just driving down the highway nothing special. Fan kicked on which I wasnt worried about its 90 degrees here right now next thing I know my temp guage is climbing.

it usually doenst blow smoke when the egr is stuck open, are you loosing any coolant at all?

Ok ill check the boots but what about over heating and the quickly rising egts? Can this all be contributed to bad/ blown off boots?

No just factory boost and egt.

I get in ang out of the truck a lot so I wanted to keep the handle so I put the steering column gauge in for the egt.

Thats what I was thinking. Must be one hell of a hole to only make 5lbs, but would this cause an over heating issue?

Yeah it can, mine was venting out the cap with my boot leaking very little. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that he prolly has a couple different issues that add up to his current situation.

It will blow smoke if the EGR is stuck open since it won't build boost. It will huff white smoke if you have coolant burning or raw fuel from the tailpipe. If it overheated, it overheated.

The truck was doing what it was designed to do. LIMIT Power when the motor is melting down. Its a design of the PCM. Something that Quadzilla guy tried to sell everyone on his box back in the day. It pulls fuel out to keep you from doing further damage.

Best thing to do is pull over to the side of the road. Sit there with the engine revved up to about 1000-1200 rpm and let the fan pull air through the radiator and let the water pump circulate water. Shutting it off just lets air get trapped in the heads and keep the cooling system from doing its job.

Turn the heater on high too...that'll draw water through the whole system.

I don't know if it helps at all but my truck would smoke witeish and run rough when it was cold. Once warmed up it would run fine.