Back Pressure Data

If dp is only 70 psi how does it effect hg failure if cylinder pressure is over 1000psi?

Simple - it doesn't.

I dont think drive pressure in most cases is a major player in head gasket failure... it's more about peak cylinder pressure, is it not?

TIP can reflect combustion pressure like EGT indicates cylinder temp... neither is necessarily an accurate measurement of the critical numbers.

No HG ever failed from blowdown pressure in the exhaust tract.

This where I was trying to get to with my original post. Would it be the duration of the event? i.e. a "peak" of 1000psi vs a continuous 70psi? Also with a lopsided ratio, at what point (if ever) would one have to worry about reversion?

Duration of the pressure is insignificant when it's an order or two of magnitude less than peak combustion pressure.

Reversion is always an issue that must be considered - small turbines & tight exhaust A/Rs require less overlap & higher LSAs in the cam profile to avoid diluting the fresh intake charge with excessive combustion byproducts... hence the 600 series' "in-cylinder" EGR, courtesy of the OEM bumpstick's tight LSA.

Reversion is always an issue that must be considered - small turbines & tight exhaust A/Rs require less overlap & higher LSAs in the cam profile to avoid diluting the fresh intake charge with excessive combustion byproducts... hence the 600 series' "in-cylinder" EGR, courtesy of the OEM bumpstick's tight LSA.

Common wisdom, but all to often mis-understood. Good comment.

Paul

new turbo

I attached a log of a run after installing a new turbo that I have been testing. Huge improvement, drive pressure is usually less than boost. Take a look at the attachment and let me know what you think.

Thanks

Garry

Attachments

• #8.LOG.zip
    7.8 KB · Views: 0
Pretty Graph.

Attachments

• New boost drive.JPG
    New boost drive.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 0
it takes the 35psi of boost and compresses it 17.5 times which = 612.5psi.

Sorry, it doesn't actually work that way.

If what you said were true why does my engine make 350psi compression when, by your math, it should only make 255psi (12.1altitude x 21.1 CR)? At 255psi my engine would have massive blowby and barely start.

What are you using to data log? What are you using for pressure sensors?

The data logs come from the electronic controler that controls the turbo. The controler sends commands to the actuator that changes the exhaust flow that drives the turbine wheel. I beleive the sensors are made by Honeywell.

Last edited:
How has the new setup been working when towing?

Towing with this charger is a huge improvement over the stocker. Some of the places I tow is the same roads. One area I go through I usually have the cruise set on about 78 mph and I leave it there till the egt hits just under 1300. I have to take the cruise off and usually top the hill around 68 or so with the egt just under 1300. With this set up I am able to leave the cruise set on 78 and it tops the hill around 76-77, with egt of 1250. I attached a pic from the compressor side of this turbo.

Attachments

• MVC-002S.jpg
    MVC-002S.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 0
Cool thread! The he351vgt on my 96 is controled by a spring I found on the shop floor and holds right about 1:1 give or take up to 45psi. The engine 'sounds' much happier at full boogie...I can only imagine the drive pressure with the stock hx35. Wish I'd had my d/p gauge then for a reference.

Cool thread! The he351vgt on my 96 is controled by a spring I found on the shop floor and holds right about 1:1 give or take up to 45psi. The engine 'sounds' much happier at full boogie...I can only imagine the drive pressure with the stock hx35. Wish I'd had my d/p gauge then for a reference.

With this unit it comes with the software to be able to log all of that with a laptop. I attached a pic taken during the install on my 06.

Attachments

• AIT Install 3rd gen.jpg
    AIT Install 3rd gen.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 0
Pretty dern cool! How much and whereabouts do you tow? Even driving at that speed around here will get a guy in trouble[laugh]

Pretty dern cool! How much and whereabouts do you tow? Even driving at that speed around here will get a guy in trouble[laugh]

I live in Missouri and the towing was intersate. They don't usually bother you if you are under 80. The tow is another truck that weighs 8000 and I think the trailer is around 6000.

Here is a pic comparing the factory 3rd gen turbine housing to this one.

Attachments

• turbo_3.jpg
    turbo_3.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 0
Here is a couple of pics of the complete unit. These were taken for the brochures that are in the works.

Attachments

• turbo_1.jpg
    turbo_1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 0
  • turbo_2.jpg
    turbo_2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sorry, it doesn't actually work that way.

If what you said were true why does my engine make 350psi compression when, by your math, it should only make 255psi (12.1altitude x 21.1 CR)? At 255psi my engine would have massive blowby and barely start.

i believe what should be looked at here is dynamic compression ratio rather than static...

A couple more pics, shows how the 3rd gen elbow fits on this housing, also a comparison of the openings.

Attachments

• turbo_4.jpg
    turbo_4.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 0
  • turbo_5.jpg
    turbo_5.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 0