Bad ECM?

smoketruck

Diesel fuel only
My truck shut down while driving. I got a p1694 code.
Did a bunch of tests and decided the vp44 was bad.
Got a new pump and installed it.
Primed and started the truck it ran for about 20 seconds and shut off.
I can start and run it. But it shuts off in about 20 to 30 seconds.
I now think the ECM is bad. When I lightly tap the ECM with the key on all the relays cycle. Does this mean the ECM is shorting out?
Has anyone had an issue like this?

Any wait to start light?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I had the ecm go out on my 01. It got to having a quick die on the road for a split second.It would always catch and go ahead and run. Slowly got worse and would completely die. It was hard to diagnose but it finally bit the dust completely.

Yes when the truck shut off the wait to start light was flashing.

What about when you try to start or key on position .

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

My truck cut in and out about six times before wouldn't run any more.

At times when i was trying to start it the relay would cycle 3 or 4 times.

Usually ecms can be swapped in directly if its from a same yr/Trans truck, but if its new from a dealer it will need flashed.

Lavon

Does the new ECM need to be flashed with my vin #

I have run my truck with used ecm's and pcm's just for testing so yes it will work.My new ecm came blank.It needed my vin#.Cummins programmed mine.200.00 what a joke.My program# was 383237706J.Yours may not be the same.

Thanks for the help guys. I think I will start looking for a salvage ECM on Monday

I have run my truck with used ecm's and pcm's just for testing so yes it will work.My new ecm came blank.It needed my vin#.Cummins programmed mine.200.00 what a joke.My program# was 383237706J.Yours may not be the same.

They needed my engine # as well.I forgot to add this to my post yesterday.

Your VIN is programmed into the ECM and the ABS module. If they differ, your CEL will light up all the time. You will need the correct VIN put into the new ECM. Another B.S. story you will hear at some dealers is "they can't program a used ECM". Once they load a VIN into a blank module (new one), it is "locked and they can't reprogram it." This is bull crap. I sent mine to Ohio I think for $75. There is a guy there that can do it. I don't remember what his name is, but it is here somewhere.

Good luck.

I got a used sovp44 and a salvaged ECM. I put the pump on and it would only run for 10- 20 seconds and shut off. put the ECM on and it runs fine no check engine light. Thanks to Truck parts unlimited from Spencer Indiana for the good ECM. And Midwest truck products for the Injection pump.

Your VIN is programmed into the ECM...
The individual or company may have wanted the VIN for identification or some other reason before programming your ECM, but the ECM does not contain the VIN and can be swapped between rigs.

All I know is that when I put in the refurbished ECM, the CEL came on instantly and constantly. The Snap-on Modis tool showed a "VIN mismatch" error which was done by a local garage as i watched for FREE. I sent it off with the VIN and when it came back, it worked ever since. So, I have no reason to not believe what my eyes were showing me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not very gullable and decenlty edumakated. So, if I'm wrong, please prove it to me.

Cliff notes:
There is no reason for anyone to want my VIN and talk me into this. I had the code on my dash. Modis said "VIN mismatch" error. Sent it off with VIN. Got it back and it worked.

WTF Chuck?????

A friend of mine has an HO with a sovp44. the ECM went bad and he didn't want to buy one so he put one on off of a SO engine. He said it runs alot better than the old one he's now slipping the clutch and is upgrading to a double disk. He's not getting any codes

All I know is that when I put in the refurbished ECM, the CEL came on instantly and constantly. The Snap-on Modis tool showed a "VIN mismatch" error which was done by a local garage as i watched for FREE. I sent it off with the VIN and when it came back, it worked ever since. So, I have no reason to not believe what my eyes were showing me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not very gullable and decenlty edumakated. So, if I'm wrong, please prove it to me.

Cliff notes:
There is no reason for anyone to want my VIN and talk me into this. I had the code on my dash. Modis said "VIN mismatch" error. Sent it off with VIN. Got it back and it worked.

WTF Chuck?????

I really don't have any idea why you got a VIN mismatch from what someone else did. I have never tried to put an ECM with an auto tranny program into a manual truck or manual trans programmed ECM into a truck with an auto. Perhaps this was mismatch problem? The program in the ECM didn't match what the VIN in the PCM said was required. I really don't know.

You had mentioned sending the ECM off for programming. Sending it off means the VIN isn't in front of the programmer, but the correct version (SO, HO, Auto, Manual, California or Federal emissions, and year) are needed to provide you with the correct program.

My post was was not to insult you, question your gullibility or your education. The simple fact is that the ECM is not programmed with a VIN.

Lastly, my name isn't Chuck. :umno: