Bad News Bears (thumping and ticking)

Kronic_187

Mekanical injection junky
Well, after 100,000miles of abuse by myself.... along with the 236,000miles before i bought my beast..... i think shes rebuild time.

was driving for about an hour, never got tooo rediculously hot.... just a decent pull up a hill passing a couple semi's, got it up in the 1300"s or so.... never noticed a thing till i rolled into a small town and noticed she wasnt running right, appears to be running on 5 holes... thumps and ticks... thumping matchs a miss out the exhaust

havnt got to dig into it yet but i'm assuming shes either a melty piston and some real wrong with a valve.... hoping it's an injector or pump issue but i'll prob pass out from holding my breath on that one....

pics to follow as i get into the heart of it.... any ideas from my brief explanation ???:bang

do you have fire rings? i have had them break and the two cylinders were sharing compression and sounds like a miss.

Does not appear to have made any more oil then what i had in there... i little low on coolant but nothing excessive...

no rings, just a +.010 HG and studs

actually.... when it misses, it sounds like a weazing air compressor with a bit of valve ticking...

i was at a buddies wedding and left my keys etc. all up @ his parents.... still tryin to get everythng here so i can get it idling, crack injectors, see what hole is doing it, then swap injectors around and see if it follows the injector.... although at this stage in the game i'm pretty positive i'll be pullin the head off

Last edited:
Id pull the valve covers and roll it over and make sure everything looks good there. Try and make sure you dont have a head gasket leak, and then possibly check the injectors as well. These engines are pretty tough, so you may just have another small problem.

I had a boy bring me his 12v with a dead miss one time. Pushrod was jammed up beside the rocker arm and wasnt doing anything to open the valve. The truck sounded weird.

thing is, it happened on my way home from the rig.... had to drive it the 400 miles. had to be home for the wedding, and none of my buddies could round up a trailer, stupid i know... but it is what it is... i can trade a my turbo for a good running core, or buy a good running core off my step dads boss....

now that u mention it, it's been awhile since i checked valve lash, you could be on to sumthing.

#1 exhaust rocker arm was WAYYYY outta wack, were talkin like 1/8" or so.... no visible damage to pushrods or rocker.... i switched out the rocker assembly anyway and pushrods looked the same as the spares i have laying in my parts cupboard.....

adjusted a bit low compared to the rest of them, looks like it may be cam time soon... finally another excuse for go fast goodies.

oil change and timing set in the am, truck fired up and purred like a kitten....

embarassing that i didnt stop to check it when i was driving, i had tools and a feeler in the truck, was in a hurry to get home for the wedding though.... oh well, least no damage.

make sure it is not the valve pulling through the retainer. that will open the lash way up.

#1 exhaust rocker arm was WAYYYY outta wack, were talkin like 1/8" or so.... no visible damage to pushrods or rocker.... i switched out the rocker assembly anyway and pushrods looked the same as the spares i have laying in my parts cupboard.....

adjusted a bit low compared to the rest of them, looks like it may be cam time soon... finally another excuse for go fast goodies.

oil change and timing set in the am, truck fired up and purred like a kitten....

embarassing that i didnt stop to check it when i was driving, i had tools and a feeler in the truck, was in a hurry to get home for the wedding though.... oh well, least no damage.

Good deal. They definately dont sound pretty when the valvetrain gets out of whack. At least it was an easy fix without even having to buy parts.

nah, i checked all the retainers.... that was my first thought when i heard it running rough and missing... hence why i didnt open it up on the side of the road to start with... it was running and i was making it home...

retainers are all fine, everything is fine... im thinkin either that loe is startin to scrub or maybe my lifter is on its way out....

lets turn this into a cam thread...

Bigstick 181/210 or a 188/220 ? thoughts ? ideas ?

the stem pull in to the point that the retainer hits the rocker. then you beat the crap out of them to get them off.

Back