bd steering brace

cumminspwr11

anyone on here run the BD steering box brace? i have so much play in my wheel its ridiculous and i want to get it fixed, i have seen these braces that bd makes that stiffens up the frame by the steering box and has a bearing assembly that keeps the bottom of the drop pit arm from moving, it suppose to take alot of play out and protected the gear box from further damage

I have one on my 12 valve. I didn't notice a night and day difference after I installed it, but it could help you out a little bit.

you need to adjust the box as well, there is an allen head screw on the top of the box, loosen the lock nut and turn it in 1/4 turn at a time.

dont evertighten - your wheel will not return to center, so be carefull and test after every adjustment

i probally have a few inches of play in each direction and im running lt325,65r18s so if those wide tires find a grove in the road they go right for it, i was planning on getting the brace, new steering stabilizer shocks( i havent had anything for a stabilizer since i changed my tie rods over) and a drop pittment arm for a 4" lift (im still using my stock arm with over 4" of lift)

i have heard of doing that adjust but i forgot about it until just now thanks for the reminder-orangenv

X2^

I did the BD one on my dads 1500 4wd and i can say it was a night and day difference. I just need to do the 3rd gen trac bar next.

For your Trac bar look into thuren fabrication. I've got his steering and Trac bar on my 96 and I love then. Don is a great guy to deal with.

you need to adjust the box as well, there is an allen head screw on the top of the box, loosen the lock nut and turn it in 1/4 turn at a time.

dont evertighten - your wheel will not return to center, so be carefull and test after every adjustment

There is more than one adjustment on a steering box, I don't feel that this one is the important one.

I didn't notice a huge difference, but I had other issues in the front end as well.. I do think they are needed to prevent further slop.

I'm not surprised you didn't notice much improvement, I don't feel that the issue is in the portion of the box that these braces "address." I've taken apart a number of steering boxes and have never found the output shaft or its bearing and bushing to be torn up to the point of being unusable.

Try adjusting the input shaft play before spending a bunch of money on braces and other parts. It makes a huge difference. Adjusting steering boxes to stock specs has yielded the same soft, sloppy feeling that everybody complains about but if you tighten them up it goes away. It still isn't as nice as driving a 3rd gen truck but my truck drives darn good and there isn't a single aftermarket steering component on the truck (I haven't even had a steering stabilizer on any of my Dodges for over 10 years).

But odds are, other front end parts are bad as well.. BD's brace is just a copy of the solid steel products setup.

I agree on both comments. Odds are good that there are other worn parts if the truck is high mileage and/or has larger than stock tires on it.

Last edited:
i custom built my track bar with hiem joints already, all the ball joints are within 2 years old along with the wheel bearings, and i just bought all new tie rods last year cause i swapped it over to the "T" steering instead of the "Y"

how do you adjust the input shaft?

I agree. It does help a bit by adding stiffness to the frame rails and not letting the box move as much.

I adjusted the nut on top of mine and it made a Huge difference. That would definately be my first thing to do.

dang guys could you post up the proceedure to adjusting the input shaft on the box? for the man.......cough cough...and me.

Worm gear, pitman shaft, adjustment should be loosen jam nut, tighten adjustment screw while rocking the steering wheel. When it feels tight, loosen 1/2 turn and tighten jam nut. Not rocket science, but works for me.

Back