Bed mounted Tranny cooler

JJeepyjohn

Make Me Fries
After finally getting my trans to shift correctly and being able to make more passes Ive noticed my current trans cooler isn't sufficient. So, what is working for you or what seems to be the best option. I plan on mounting it in the bed and having a fan on it. I was just going to go with the largest aftermarket one I could find and go from there. What say you?

From what I've seen, the Derale Atomic Cooler does pretty good. I'm sure they make better ones, but I would do 2 of those before spending big bucks on anything else.

Havent heard of those.. I thought about using an A/C condensor but its finding one that will work with the way I want to do it.

Run through the pick n pull with a tape measure.. You will be surprised what you can figure out for cheap. I an thinking Honda will work, double it up for more flow, then a Honda fan to cool.. Probably buy it all for 100 bucks, half that on holiday weekends..

I've got 2 different Honda condensors here. The thing is the lines compress thru it so much I'm worried about flow. If I'm gonna spend a $100 on junk yard stuff I'll go and get the biggest Hayden cooler and a 12" fan for just over that..

And for the record.. the difference between suck and blow is the size of the grin. :)

But really, a fan will cool better sucking more than it will blowing.

I have one mounted under my bed - 0 issues ..... keeps it cooler by around 30-40 degrees on return ...... easy mod - I mocked it up with threaded rod and bolts and then had a mate weld it in.

IMG_20130812_132222_980.jpg

You can kinda see what I've got going on there. They are two derale coolers with electric fans and -8 fittings. I rarely had any trans temp issues.

View attachment 45977

You can kinda see what I've got going on there. They are two derale coolers with electric fans and -8 fittings. I rarely had any trans temp issues.

I'm Probably going to do.something like this. Although I don't have a cage yet I will just use some angle and make a bracket to hold it.

Back