Bench testing trailer brake controller

Rob_O

n00b
So I went junkyarding today and picked up a couple brake controllers for $10 each, one is a Brakemate and the other is an ancient Tekonsha

Found this generic wiring diagram for brake controllers

brake_control_wiring_diagram_500.jpg

My question is this, do I need to have the trailer connected to the controller for it to work properly? The trailer is 30 minutes away but I have a battery, meter and all the test leads I need here at the house

My tekshona needs resistance for it to turn on. A test light should do the trick.

A test light from the blue wire to ground will simulate the electric brakes.

Good info, thanks guys. I wasn't sure if my meter would allow enough current flow to make the controller think it's connected

Update: Tested them yesterday, seems like they work. Test light shows the Brakemate pulses the brakes and the Tekonsha adjusts the voltage (braking level) dependent on the setting. I'll try them both in the truck and see which one feels best in the real world

I'd highly recommend the Tekonsha, adjusting voltage works tons better than pulsing IMHO.

Teconsha Voyager by chance? If so, those things ROCK. I have em in all my trucks...... My dad has one that was new in 93 and it's still going strong.... And if you set the dials up right, they're just as smooth as those newfangled digital smoke & mirrors jobs they have now.

Not sure what model it is. According to the sticker on the back it was built 11-90, looks like this

$%28KGrHqR,!hYE6eWu,YljBQ!NwW,-zw~~48_35.JPG

Last edited:
IMHO you would be much happier with a newer version controller. (not that the one you have won't work)

You are probably correct, but as you said I have it and it does work. On my first test run I had it set to maximum braking and locked up the brakes on the trailer when I touched the brakes at the end of my street :rockwoot:

Towed with the "new" setup for the first time this weekend. Bought a skid steer and hauled it home without getting motion sickness from the trailer throwing the truck around, something I could not have done with my "old" Durango :bang

Back