Bent 6 pushrods?????

12vSootLife

I bought an 02 cummins from a friend (well acquaintance) that needs work. He said the truck stalled out while driving down the road. He found that he bent pushrods. I put new pushrods in it and cranked it over, it never started and it bent all 6 exhaust pushrods just from cranking over. Im thinking that the cam is out of time causing the exhaust valves to hit the pistons. I pulled the timing cover and checked the cam keyway and crank keyway, they both look fine. What the hell is going on???? What could cause this??

You checked the keys but what about the timing marks?

Thats the next thing is to spin engine over to see if the marks align. It started raining so i had to stop working on it and clean up all my tools. But i cant imagine that the marks could be off. How is it possible for it to skip a tooth?

What Disturbed said above.

Give us a little more info on the truck.

Hx35/40 hybrid, 5x.014 injectors, 5" exhaust, it had 2 chips on it-a tst and something else but he took them off before i bought it, head studs, goerend trans, 228k miles

5x14's in a 24v? Stock cam? Had the head been off recently

Last edited:
Well 150hp injectors. I am not familiar with 24valve stuff. Stock cam, head was off a couple years ago

Cam hasn't walked out of the gear has it? Letting the intake lobe hit the exh tappet or at least hold it open?

1/4 inch ? Better not be. Then you do have an issue. 1/16 of an inch maybe at most.

Six push rods bent sounds like the motor was not rotated 360 while setting valve lash. Which specific rods are bent?

The engine was rotated while setting the lash .010 intake/.020 exhaust. And all of the pushrods that bent were exhaust push rods. All the intake pushrods are fine, all of the exhaust pushrods are bent. I was estimating the 1/4", i can get a better measurement when i get home. From looking at the keyway, the crank gear doesnt appear to have spun

It can only be a couple things. Crank timing, cam timing. When you were spinning the engine over by hand you didn't feel the valves hitting? I would cut the filter apart and look for material. I'm wondering if he ran it out of oil and spun the rod bearing and that's what caused it to stall. You won't know till it fires if it ever does.

so you didn't figure this out yet? At least you have more push rods to put in it! I still say it sheared the crank pin/key off and is out of time like I told you before!

Keifferscummins? Were u at the shop that i got the pushrods from? I didnt get a chance to work on it today but I will post pics tomorrow of the keyways. It would make sense if the crank gear spun but it looks normal.

[ame]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z26/kevinnwbmw/image-1.jpg[/ame]
[ame]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z26/kevinnwbmw/image-2.jpg[/ame]