Best chip for 03 6.0

Frans96ss

i just got an 03 f-250 4 door short bed.... im looking for the best chip out there... i dont use the truck for racing but i do like to get on it and stuff.... i like the edge with the attitude.... i heard the sct's are good but i dont like how u cant change it from inside the cab..... and i dont want something that will blow a head gasket or anything.... sorry about all the ?'s im new to deisel lt1/ls1's are my specialty.....

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

Hello,

This is my first post here at Competition Diesel. My Welcome thread is [POST="12376"]here[/POST]. Please post all my welcome message there.

Thanks,
Frans96ss

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

The New Edge is decent, dont get an old one off Ebay or anything, it will kill your tranny.

Bully Dog with outlook monitor is pretty nice too.

Both are shift on the fly.

Frans96ss said:
i heard the sct's are good but i dont like how u cant change it from inside the cab.....

That isn't true. You do change it in the cab. You can't change it on the fly.

If you want your tranny to live, the SCT is the way to go. Plus you control the power with your foot. I have run the extreme race file for 35K miles in my truck, and once a week I pull over 10K pounds up some pretty steep hills. IMHO the SCT is the best for power and Performance.

The TS 5X is a pretty nice deal too, and can change files in a flash. Great power, smooth shifting, and again, you might have a tranny at 100K. Steer away from Edge/attitude products. They have been proven to eat trannies. The platinum seems to be getting good reviews, just 2x the money for less than what the SCT or TS box gets you. Also the more you change the levels, the harder it is on the transmission since it takes time to learn the new power.

Just my .02, but look what the fast guys on here are running.
GENE - SCT
DJ - SCT
Dennis - TS
Unbroken SCT
ME!!!!!- SCT and 5X

That is true Tim.

But if he wants shift on the fly, he is going to have to pay for it.

I too have both the SCT and 5X. Both are nice!

Dalpilot said:
If you want your tranny to live, the SCT is the way to go.

Never were better words said in regards to our trucks.... but I have no experience with the TS.

Regarding the SCT, it takes a minute or so max to change out. It will hold 3 files, you can have files emailed to you from different builders and store as many as you want on your 'puter and keep 3 of your favorites on the SCT. If you want to change files, you plug it in underneath in the OBDII plug, select the file and tell it to program. It'll ask you to turn the key on and hit select. A percentage number will come up and when it gets to 100% it'll tell you to turn the key off and hit select again. Then, your ready to roll. All in all, it only takes a minute or so. The shift-on-the-fly is nice, but what you get with the SCT is well worth the hassle.

The TS setup may be a nice way to go also, no clue. Just from what I've heard, it's a tad short on power compared to the race files on the SCT. Mikey may be able to elaborate on that.

The TS 5X is a great tuner.

The MAX power is not there, but it has super smooth shifts and the turbo lites SUPER FAST!!!

Go with SCT. You will not find a better, more powerful, mod for the money. The transmission tuning alone is worth the cost, add an extra 150 hp and 250 ft.lbs on top, and hold on.

nummit said:
Go with SCT. You will not find a better, more powerful, mod for the money. The transmission tuning alone is worth the cost, add an extra 150 hp and 250 ft.lbs on top, and hold on.

what he said :woohoo: :bow:

Frans96ss said:
how long does it take to change out the programs with the sct?
It depends on the truck. Some say 8 minutes and some say 2-3 minutes. On my 04 it takes 4-5 minutes but it is a lot quicket then SCMT1704.

yes they all have thier good and bad about them,I have a SIX GUN AND PDA THAT IS FOR SALE ILL MAKE YOUN A KILLER DEAL,email me if interested it sounds like this would be perfect for you, jcwpenny@aol.com

Go with a TS 5X or a SCT...they are the best for the 6.0 hands down. i havent had a problem with my 5X and when my truck isnt towing 7k and have the bed loaded, im brutally beating the crap out of it and she aint complained yet!

Last edited by a moderator:
mikehalseyjr said:
The TS 5X is a great tuner.

The MAX power is not there, but it has super smooth shifts and the turbo lites SUPER FAST!!!

Do you think there is less lag when you step on from idle with the 5X than there is with the SCT? If so comparing which setting or settings to which tune or tunes?

I dont know about nailing it when sitting at a stop sign. . .

But cruising down the road the turbo lites faster, it is very noticeable.

I like the 5X, it is a great daily driver!!!

The 5X comes on faster and smoother, but doesn't have the power the SCT has. I think Dennis wants it that way. We all know Dennis can make power, that was not his goal. He made a great tuner with reasonable power that everyone can use. The SCT can also make whatever power you want, however most of the folks here are running the SCT, because we are HP junkies, and want the most we can get. MY SCT street tunes are about what the 5X is laying down. My race files from DJ, Innovative, Doug, and DPtuners are all pretty high end files, but I use my right foot to adjust power output!

Frans96ss said:
ok i have a guy hooking me up with the sct to ill see how i like it hehe

we are looking into trying the outlook monitor with an sct to shift on the fly. let me know what you needs are

thank you

dj:evil .

Which ever you choose..Just remember that we have Supporting Vendors on here for all the Products mentioned.. give one of them a call and tell them you heard about them from Competition Diesel...you never know they might give you an even better deal.