best connecting rods for a common rail engine build?

crtdodgeram

hey I'm wondering what rods to buy for a common rail build?. I see 12v brazil rods and england rods in the for sale section so which rods are better?. if someone can help me decide thanks

what's the differance between the two?.I plan on balancing polishing and shot peening them?. Can you buy new 12v rods?. I have about $8000 to $10000 for the build maybe more.

Last edited:
Depends how many HP you plan on making. If you're looking for new 12v rods, just PM Snedge. As a Cummins dealer, he helps me with all the parts on my race engine.

Billet would be the best, weather you need them or not will depend on what kind of power you are going for. So you have 8-10k for just the bottom end, or the complete engine?

It also depends on your goals for the truck. Do you want to make peak power early or later in the rpm band? Looking into a standalone? Pulling, racing, or street truck?

I have a 2006 2500 dodge ram with 78500km or about 48800miles HARD MILES LOL on the truck I live in lethbridge alberta canada. I have twin turbos,lift pump,intercooler,etc. I have 100hp nozzles, arson 3, valve springs,pushrods,harmonic balancer,and some other things to go into the new engine . My goals for this engine is 750 to 850hp on #2 daily driver/weekend racer. I'm thinking of running monothremal pistons. but the 2005 engine I bought needs to be sleeved in #6 hole and maybe #5 too. The guy I bought it from said it was rebuildable but number 6 has a burn mark in the cylinder wall. Can I make 750 to 850hp with a sleeved block?. but back to it I have 8000 to 10000 maybe more in cash for the build in that money I have to sleeve the the block and fix the head it has some pitting to number 5 cylinder so I have to deck the head too and rebuild the head . If I knew how to post pics I would. I think I have to post more on this forum LOL?. so thanks for the help.

Sleeve the holes, grab a set of 24v rods, deck the head and make sure you discuss top ring gap with your engine builder. Keep it under 1300F EGT and you'll be fine forever.

What Joe said. There is no need for you to use Monotherms at 800hp, if you dont think you will be able to keep EGTs on the safe side, have the pistons coated.

Sleeve the holes, grab a set of 24v rods, deck the head and make sure you discuss top ring gap with your engine builder. Keep it under 1300F EGT and you'll be fine forever.

So you say sleeve the two holes and go stock size pistons right?. Can I reuse the 4 pistons and get 2 new pistons or go 6 new ones?. I was think of coating the pistons. I'm going to get the head rebuild because the engine had 160000km+(about 100000miles)on it. I don't have a engine builder. Me and my dad are building it. (he's a heavy duty mechanic). so what do you mean about the top gap?. I was looking at wicked diesels website last night he sells new stock 6b connecting rods for 549.00set.
thanks

Should I o-ring or fire-ring the head and were can I get a overhaul kit for this engine or the parts for the rebuild?.
thanks

O-ring the head, Jeff @ Mauma Diesel will get you fixed up on parts. 724-354-3136.

-Yes, you can go back with stock size pistons, if the bores are in spec... if not you will need to either sleeve all 6, or go oversize.

-You can use the other 4 if they look good.

-Just set your top ring gap(piston ring) to spec, so you dont have issues later.(comp, smoke, broke ring, ect)

If your Dad has built engines, he will know what we are talking about. I would just buy some good used rods, as they go for about $200 in the classifieds... or see what Jeff would want for a set.