best dd clutch

stovepipe22

got a 99 5speed, whats the best dual disk clutch? i pull about 5 times a year and the rest of the time i just beat the living snot out of my truck. I dont pull trailers and i dont mind if its not the easiest to drive, just as long as i still can accually use it on the street. I just dont ever want to buy another clutch, i have a 13inch Southbend now and it worked great just cant handle the power anymore. any suggestion is great.

SBC 3850 12cb things drives so sweet, i got 17 hooks on mine now, and about 20-25k HARD street miles, and over a dozen 1/4 mile passes with boosted 3rd gear launches...still drives awesome and holds great!

I might be stating the obvious, but make sure that you upgrade the hydraulics too. After blowing mine out four times in the last year on my 99, I should be getting the upgraded hydraulics on Thursday. :rockwoot:

part number for the 98-02

hyd-x-1.50

Whats the difference with the Brass on the floater and flywheel. Whats the point? I think ill be going with a valair DD at some point this summer....

we have great luck w/ the south bend units, what's also nice is that they make a econo dual disk too that's a bit cheaper.

Econo dual disk?

yes its a cheaper version of their dual disk that works great for towing and holding big power, but its not SFI certified for competition in sanctioned bodies. maybe Peter will chime in with more info.

I've had the Haisley Street Drag for a couple of years now.

I'm not nice to it or easy on it.

The one and only complaint I have is how grabby it is. It holds everything I throw at it, just chatters leaving the line because it is so damn grabby.

Get the upgraded hydraulics. I had to pull a trailer through down town Seattle traffic at 5:00pm with no effin clutch pedal when mine went out. I would have paid any amount of money in the world at that exact moment to have the hydraulics.. Get them before you need them.

Get the upgraded hydraulics. I had to pull a trailer through down town Seattle traffic at 5:00pm with no effin clutch pedal when mine went out. I would have paid any amount of money in the world at that exact moment to have the hydraulics.. Get them before you need them.

That doesn't sound any fun. :doh: The first time the OEM hydraulics went out on mine, it was just bleeding past the seal, so I had some warning that it was going out. The next three times it blew out the master cylinder with no warning. You push the clutch in and have it go to the floor while your spraying your engine compartment full of brake fluid. :bang

Econo dual disk?

Yea, I got and love it, its the street 3250, Peter said it will hold 650 hp nno problem and I asked him about dragging it and he said it would hold up just fine :rockwoot:

haha the econo dd is as much as valairs regualr dd but oh well. very equal in quality as far as i can tell on there high end clutches just prices are different

haha the econo dd is as much as valairs regualr dd but oh well. very equal in quality as far as i can tell on there high end clutches just prices are different

It was actually cheaper than valair, I was going to go w/ valair until I got quoted by Peter, its only about 150 more than there big single

I'll never go back to a single. I had a single from Austin Brake and Clutch that was supposed to be their higher hp clutch and it was a P.O.S. It was so grabby and didn't hold squat. My Valair 3850 DD is so smooth and is holding all I've thrown at it. go big the first time 3850 or 4200 and forget it.

sbc hands down,
if you dont want awesome quallity and customer service
go else where

Yea, I got and love it, its the street 3250, Peter said it will hold 650 hp nno problem and I asked him about dragging it and he said it would hold up just fine :rockwoot:

i have seen one over 850hp

Whats the difference with the Brass on the floater and flywheel. Whats the point? I think ill be going with a valair DD at some point this summer....
I am in the same boat, and want to know what is better about the bronze flywheel insert.
I've had the Haisley Street Drag for a couple of years now.
I have not looked at the Haisley clutches, but are they some of the best? Which one would be best for 3-4 hooks per year and a daily driver?

Pretty sure the bronze surface is for a replaceable wear surface, so the flywheel can be reused multiple times without any machining. I've got the 3600 unsprung in my dually, nice and smooth. Sometimes it gets grabby, just do a 3rd gear launch and its nice and smooth again. A friend took me for a ride in his truck with a Valair FE, made me really appreciate my DD. Thats why I ordered another one for my 2500. Gonna try the econo clutch, since I'll never pull or race competitively with this truck.

I have not looked at the Haisley clutches, but are they some of the best? Which one would be best for 3-4 hooks per year and a daily driver?

Thats kind of like asking who makes the best injectors. There are people who think they are the best, just as there are people who do not think so.

I'm happy with it. But it is very grabby. It will hold anything I can throw at it, no problem. It is a clutch that I can continue to build power on, and I don't worry for a second that it is going to start slipping as I build more power. It can be launched hard in 3rd if you want, and will hold without any problems. Many of the higher performance clutches are known to continue to slip once they have started slipping (this is more true on the single disk than the dual disk). That makes it difficult to launch in 3rd.

As happy as I am with the clutch, I doubt I will own another just like this one when I decide to replace it. It is too grabby for around town driving. If I did almost no stop and go driving, I would love it. But for what I use my truck for, it just isn't what I'm looking for. I spend some time in the hills where it is nice to be able to slip the clutch a little here and there. This one does not like to be slipped, and gets really out of hand when warm. It will buck and shake the truck no matter how easy you try to ease out of it. Once it is warm, it is nearly impossible to let out the clutch without a little fuel on 35s with 3.54 gearing. Maybe if I had deeper gears, or smaller tires, it would be a little more forgiving and less of a pain around town. Either way, I don't intend to give up tire size or RPMs to fix it, so the clutch will eventually have to go.