Best Diesel Timing Lights- Thoughts?

Begle1

Who makes the best Diesel timing light?

I'm about ready to buy one of these, but I don't even know of their competition.

Do they work well? Is anybodyy else's better?

Diesel timing lights aren't really that popular, are they? LOL

i got the blue point pulse adapter and just use a normal timing advance light and i like it. works pretty good

Alright, I got the clamp-on transducer from the Tiny-Tach people, hoping to reverse engineer it a bit and use it on a data logger.

However, it isn't quite what I was expecting. I was expecting something with a couple wires off of it at least... But this thing looks like a little thumbscrew or Jew's harp? It has a little spring coming off of it, but that's it?

How does this thing connect to the timing light that they sell?

It connects to their teflon cable and plugs into their pick-up port on their timing light kit.

DSC02263.jpg

DSC02266.jpg

So the "Teflon cable" connects to the springy part? Does the Teflon cable have wire in it?

I'm pretty genuinely flabbergasted and baffled on this one. :bang

Not to hi jak but could i get a basic run down of how they work?

Have heard about it but never really looked into much

The light flashes when that little sensor detects the pressure spike in the injection line.

How that little sensor works I have no idea.

ah ok so then you but a sticker on the harmonic balancer as a reference point

right on clear as mud thanks

Yes the cable has wire in it, the ctr conductor goes to the spring thingy and the 2nd lead has a ground clip that must be grounded to a good ground or the tach will not sinc and proceed to operate, Later I will try to put an O-Scope in mine while it is running to see what sig there is.

If you could play around a little bit with it, that'd be awesome. I would guess that the unit puts a little bit of voltage to the spring, and the resistance or capacitance with respect to ground changes a little bit when it sees the pressure spike.

But I wouldn't be surprised by anything at this point.

Back