Best gear and axle brand

bigjoe92992

Im looking for a good ring and pinion and set of axles for my puller. they will be put in a dana 80. my buddy told me Mine an USA standard are a good brand for ring and pinion and i was thinking about going with Branik axles. just looking for opinions and something reliable

I run a set if Branik billet axles in my puller. Haven't broke yet. Very happy

yea ive heard good things thanks, can i ask what brand you use for your ring and pinion

They will make anything you want. I run a billet spool. Axles are 38 spline on the inside and 40 spline on the outside with drive flangs

2012-08-01_18-48-03_859_zpstvpejpvj.jpg

Branik axle next to stock

2012-08-01_16-22-21_216_zpsqa0qdgoe.jpg

Looks awesome JL. Can I ask how much they cost with the hubs?

This will be my second season on these. I'm pretty sure they were around $1500-1600 IIRC. They also offer the option of gun drilling too for another $300 I think.
Nice people.
I got the spool and all my gears and bearings from Greensburge machine. The spool is a tony burkhart spool. I probably butchered his last name.

I run a DHD spool and axles from Tony Burkhard and no complaints here. As for ring and pinion I have US Standard in the rear and Yukon in the front only because US Standard doesn't make a 4.88 for the front on an AAM. I've also always been told that a Yukon and US Standard are the exact same but the Yukons go through an extra process to make them quieter for driving on the street.

I unfortunately have had pretty bad luck with the Yukon gears. There is no doubt that the Sterling 10.5 is a pretty weak axle but I have been through 3 gear sets and am on my 4th. 2 broken pinions and one broken ring gear. They said it was from shock load. I told em it was 6.0... How much shock can it make? Another thing is that if you ask Yukon who actually makes there gears, they cant answer you because they are made all over.

I am doing a Dana 80 swap for this year and went with G2 gears from 4 wheel parts because of there 10 year warranty and from what I can find, they are made in an old Dana facility. Its not done yet but well see how it holds up.

Matt

I was recommended US gear not US standard which is a Yukon junk gear. I'd call Greensburge Machine.
Not sure if US makes gears for your though axle. Pulling gears IMO should be setup tighter than a gear that is daily driven. We just don't ever create enough heat to expand the metal. Setting them tighter would also lower the shock load.

I agree with the minimal backlash but I have to keep it within there spec because I drive the truck every day.

Back