Best gear and axle brand

I run a DHD spool and axles from Tony Burkhard and no complaints here. As for ring and pinion I have US Standard in the rear and Yukon in the front only because US Standard doesn't make a 4.88 for the front on an AAM. I've also always been told that a Yukon and US Standard are the exact same but the Yukons go through an extra process to make them quieter for driving on the street.

I was recommended US gear not US standard which is a Yukon junk gear. I'd call Greensburge Machine.
Not sure if US makes gears for your though axle. Pulling gears IMO should be setup tighter than a gear that is daily driven. We just don't ever create enough heat to expand the metal. Setting them tighter would also lower the shock load.

Its not always cut and dry. Sometimes it varies by application. IE, US Standard gears for the US standards are Yukon's bottom of the barrel, but typically they still seem better than stuff like G2, Motive, Richmond etc.

Not all of Yukon's Gear sets are Yukon gears. Some of them are actually just reboxed OEM gear sets.

I personally prefer OEM gear sets, but being an AAM and Dana distributor influences that a bit. Dana now has an all makes light duty ring and pinion program with some ratios previously unavailable for there Diffs and some offerings for some Chrysler, Ford, GM and Toyota Diffs.

I unfortunately have had pretty bad luck with the Yukon gears. There is no doubt that the Sterling 10.5 is a pretty weak axle but I have been through 3 gear sets and am on my 4th. 2 broken pinions and one broken ring gear. They said it was from shock load. I told em it was 6.0... How much shock can it make? Another thing is that if you ask Yukon who actually makes there gears, they cant answer you because they are made all over.

I am doing a Dana 80 swap for this year and went with G2 gears from 4 wheel parts because of there 10 year warranty and from what I can find, they are made in an old Dana facility. Its not done yet but well see how it holds up.

Matt

It seems to me there are like only 4 plants in the world that make ring and pinions and Dana owns one, maybe 2 of them. The quality is up to the spec and how they are lapped/finished.

Last edited:
Back