Best Headgasket to use with head studs?

FarmBoy2

FarmBoy pickups RULE!!!!
Looking into doing headstuds and was just wondering what headgasket or what route to take for a headgasket when i put the new studs in? Or what i should look into? Thanks guys

Sry if I seem to be asking alot of questions but I just dont want to screw my truck up.

probably should go with orings or firerings and a haisley ring and gasket kit

Thanks. Whats the difference between firerings and orings?

Fire-rings are more suited towards racing/pulling. They don't have the greatest track record for Daily Drivers, O-rings and studs are needed if you going above 45 PSI in the boost department and they tolerate daily driving.

Use a Cummins head gasket, they are good for 90% of the applications.

In the end it all depends on how high you want to go with the HP. :nos:

Thanks for the info. I will need to start researching so i dont keep acting and asking questions like a dumbass.

I've been running 40-50psi for the last 8 years, 4 of those with no studs, all on the stock headgasket with no issues at all. Stock headgasket has over 190k on it with no leakage. Just don't go WOT until the t-stat has opened up and you'll be fine between 40-50psi.

Fire-rings are more suited towards racing/pulling. They don't have the greatest track record for Daily Drivers, O-rings and studs are needed if you going above 45 PSI in the boost department and they tolerate daily driving.

Use a Cummins head gasket, they are good for 90% of the applications.

In the end it all depends on how high you want to go with the HP. :nos:

This is some good info, Ive had good luck with orings, oem gasket, and 12mm studs.

I would just put headstuds in and not worry about a gasket. Your stock one should be fine as long as its not leaking yet. Take one bolt out at a time and put new stud in and torque it down. Follow cummins torque sequence.

i think im gonna jus go with studs and repalce the gasket when it starts to leak. Ill jus have my brother help put them in when i run the valves for the 150,000 mile service. Since he is a diesel mechanic. thanks guys for the help

I've been running 40-50psi for the last 8 years, 4 of those with no studs, all on the stock headgasket with no issues at all. Stock headgasket has over 190k on it with no leakage. Just don't go WOT until the t-stat has opened up and you'll be fine between 40-50psi.

I have been going by this for 2yrs with 50+PSI, 60 hear lately with different headbolts on the stock headgasket with 110K on it. But when I do mine I'm going with the ARP 625's and o-ring. I don't want to skimp there.

I would just put headstuds in and not worry about a gasket. Your stock one should be fine as long as its not leaking yet. Take one bolt out at a time and put new stud in and torque it down. Follow cummins torque sequence.

Torque20Sequence.jpg

First of all i want to say that firerings are just fine for daily driving. I have 3 years on mine and have run up to 100 lbs boost and 2000 degrees. Not one single issue here. Im not a fan of orings cause i think it is a chincy waste of time and money but i do know guys thatrun them and dont have any problems so i wont actually say they are bad.

As far as a hg, I reccomend the .090 marine hg to go with the 12mm studs. We run it on our 97 12v with 22-27 degrees timing, 5x18 injectors, silver 66 and 4500+ rpms. Two years of hard service. Im talking get in start it up andput it to the floor. The motor has 300,000 miles and he was trying to see how much it would take.For a hg that we thought would be a tempory, has been well worth the money.

Thank you broke down

anytime.

there are a lot of guys doing what Rollin said as well. i know of 2 guys one with a 64 and one with a 66 that have done the same with no issues. personally if i had the extra cash i'd do the safe thing.

First of all i want to say that firerings are just fine for daily driving. I have 3 years on mine and have run up to 100 lbs boost and 2000 degrees. Not one single issue here. Im not a fan of orings cause i think it is a chincy waste of time and money but i do know guys thatrun them and dont have any problems so i wont actually say they are bad.

As far as a hg, I reccomend the .090 marine hg to go with the 12mm studs. We run it on our 97 12v with 22-27 degrees timing, 5x18 injectors, silver 66 and 4500+ rpms. Two years of hard service. Im talking get in start it up andput it to the floor. The motor has 300,000 miles and he was trying to see how much it would take.For a hg that we thought would be a tempory, has been well worth the money.

and there are people on the other end of the spectrum that have had so many fire ring issues they will not use them anymore.