Best Mercedes TDI to modify?

CookCR

I'm thinking about getting a MB TDI for a run around car/toy. What are the best years/engines to modify? At what power levels can they still be reliable? Also who sells go fast goodies for these things?

Billysgoat used to have one.. Hit him up.. He probably knows a good bit on them..

Billysgoat used to have one.. Hit him up.. He probably knows a good bit on them..

Depends on the year, are you talking a newer electronic controlled, or older all mechanical? The older ones have a few threads on them already here, might have to go back a page or two to find them. I am completely unfamiliar with the newer models so please do not get me to lying.

This is the message I received when asking the same question a bit ago.

The only engine worth messing with for high power is the OM606 from the 98-99 E300. 300hp is easy for a bone-stock engine with only an injection pump, turbo and intercooler, and 650hp is possible with new pistons and rods.

The 617 is very limited by airflow.
The 603 has the same bottom end and strength as the 606 but the 2v head limits airflow potential.

The E300 itself isn't a good platform due to tightly integrated electronics. You'll have to swap the OM606 into a different vehicle to see its potential without a pile of custom electronics.

The only engine worth messing with for high power is the OM606 from the 98-99 E300. 300hp is easy for a bone-stock engine with only an injection pump, turbo and intercooler, and 650hp is possible with new pistons and rods.
That is true at those engines can get much power, but no need to change pistons when go 650hp.

The 603 has the same bottom end and strength as the 606 but the 2v head limits airflow potential.
603 has differend block, pistons, rods. So only thing there is same is crank.

I'm thinking about getting a MB TDI for a run around car/toy. What are the best years/engines to modify? At what power levels can they still be reliable? Also who sells go fast goodies for these things?
I can't remember what this guy has done exactly, but if you're determined there is information about what kind of engine he used to get this old diesel mercedes wagon into drifting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24afjVqm2Uw

(Hint: it wasn't the original 1980-something motor...)

Good luck, hope you end up with a fun project!! :ft:

I can't remember what this guy has done exactly, but if you're determined there is information about what kind of engine he used to get this old diesel mercedes wagon into drifting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24afjVqm2Uw

(Hint: it wasn't the original 1980-something motor...)

Good luck, hope you end up with a fun project!! :ft:
There is OM606 engine on it. 7mm mechanical injection pump and Garrett turbo. IDI engine.