Best setup for a DD

NCcummins

NADEAU
I bought a 2001 3500 yesterday and I'll be daily driving the trail from Asheville, NC to Johnson City, TN. It has an aFe stage 2 and a 4" MBRP exhaust. He said it has injector nozzles but I honestly don't think he knew. I'm wondering if I should just leave it alone or go with something like the Edge Juice with Attitude. It has a rebuilt transmission and I don't run the hell out of my trucks so I'm not worried about it going out. In my last 02 I had the TC warrantied 3 times with the Edge Juice with Attitude so I'm not sure if that is a good route to go. It needs something though. I forgot how slow these trucks were compared to the common rail. If my old dually was a 4x4, I would've never sold it.

Tomorrow the truck is getting a leveling kit, 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers, Rockstars, and spacers. I'm replacing all the lights on it with LEDs and new OEM headlights as most are faded and look old. I bought the truck very cheap so figured it was a perfect DD for now while I'm finishing school. It has 182,000 miles on it.

Any and all input is great. Thanks for the help. I'm glad to he out of the Subaru world and back into the diesel world!:rockwoot:

-Chris

get a good lift pump, and gauges. i like the quadzilla adrenalin. but if your tranny is stock you will most likley tear it up with bigger injectors and a programer

Air Dog, Raptor, of FASS lift pump.

ANALOG gauges...I personally don't care for electronic gauges.

Edge EZ or Power puck....NON-wire tap box!

Air Dog, Raptor, of FASS lift pump.

ANALOG gauges...I personally don't care for electronic gauges.

Edge EZ or Power puck....NON-wire tap box!

I was also thinking the Edge EZ. I liked having the attitude just for the easy gauge hookup but I'll most likely go with a regular set of gauges.

[/B]

if your tranny is stock you will toast it with a wire tap box

The receipt says "heavy duty Cummins parts" meaning replaced stock parts is my guess so I would say it's stock.

get a good lift pump, and gauges. i like the quadzilla adrenalin. but if your tranny is stock you will most likley tear it up with bigger injectors and a programer

I'm sure I'll be buying a VP44 soon and at that time I'll put a FASS 150 on the truck as well. I don't plan to do anything big to this truck as my last dually was barely daily drivable (for the mileage I put on).

Put twins on it and dont look back

I like the way you think.....

paid $8,000 for it. 2001 Sport 3500. Hope to be able to run the wheels off it without having to do much. Saving for a 2012 when I get out of school.

5Gb5Kb5J23I93F23Hbc1kf4090433c0631dad.jpg

5Lc5F85M83I33J83N4c1k78a1a6f0eecf112e.jpg

5Nd5G45Kd3Ff3Na3H8c1k8c037951af2c1dea.jpg

my old 02 and old 03 dually..got rid of them around the same time...I'm happy with the 2001 4x4 dually for now:
Car9.jpg

313.jpg

Last edited:
probably the best DD setup for all around, and not big power for me was

- 80 hp injectors
- edge comp
- lift pump of some sort

decent 400hp setup, and extremely streetable

but..... best all around decent power setup was

- Edge comp or quad
- 62/71
- 7x.010" or 150hp "ish" injectors
- supporting mods

phuck guages... they are over-rated and waste of money, besides lift pump PSI

probably the best DD setup for all around, and not big power for me was

- 80 hp injectors
- edge comp
- lift pump of some sort

decent 400hp setup, and extremely streetable

but..... best all around decent power setup was

- Edge comp or quad
- 62/71
- 7x.010" or 150hp "ish" injectors
- supporting mods

phuck guages... they are over-rated and waste of money, besides lift pump PSI

I agree. I believe the first setup you have listed is something like what I will go with. It is supposed to have 50hp injectors or nozzles in it now so I'll probably go with the Edge Juice or Edge Comp and then a FASS150 when I do the VP44 and be done with it.

This is what my DD truck will have. The HE swap and maybe slightly larger injectors is all I have left.

Lift pump
Gauges
HE351
Comp box or Adrenaline

I would bet your truck probably has the 275 RV injectors.

Last edited:
This is what my DD truck will have. The HE swap and maybe slightly larger injectors is all I have left.

Lift pump
Gauges
HE351
Comp box or Adrenaline

I would bet your truck probably has the 275 RV injectors.

I wish I knew what it had in it. That soulds like the perfect setup!

I found out today that it does have 50hp nozzles, as well as an 80hp (I think?) Bully Dog two stage (50hp and 80hp) settings. Since it has a 4" straight pipe and a KnN intake, believe I'm going to leave it alone until I do a VP44 and FASS 150.

I love the truck! Thanks for all the advice!

Before:
5-1.jpg

Today:
3-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

I'll be swapping out all the fluids on it tomorrow and after that it should be good to go for a while!

de-badge it and wash and wax :lolly: black out the windows while your at it, nice truck!

Nice truck, what size are those tires? And how big of a spacer did you end up using? Thanks

Thanks! I put 35x12.50R17 Nitto Mud Graplers on it. 2" leveling kit with a 2" aluminum spacer in the rear.

de-badge it and wash and wax :lolly: black out the windows while your at it, nice truck!

All the badges came of this weekend (looks like hell right now). It needs WAY more than a wash and wax LOL. I don't thin it has ever been washed or waxed in its life. My buddy owns a detail company and he is taking the truck or a weekend sometime soon. There are a few things that will not come out but at least it will be clean as can be inside and out. That's what I get for buying a truck that has been worked its whole life.

I changed out all the fluids in it Friday. I'm stripping the mirror tint off the door windows today and then having my buddy do 5% on the doors and 40% on the windshield (like I do with everything). It has 5% around the cab so I'm leaving that alone.

Sounds like you're in good shape then other than a fuel pressure gauge and Raptor or Air Dog.

While I was installing the back up camera on Saturday, I found that it has a FASS lift pump so that is nice. I'm end up doing the 150 with gauges soon.

a FASS stock replacement or an actual FASS system? I like my adrenaline alot and would definitely recommend it. 7x.010s and a turbo to support them is a lot of fun to drive on the street. I have pretty much no smoke with my setup unless I try for it.

Badass looking truck!

It doesn't have a FASS system yet, just the factory replacement. I'll go with a FASS 150 in the near future. That sounds like an awesome setup.

Thanks man!