best tow rig

gbhtrd06

whats better a 7.3 ford or a 5.9 mechanical p-pump dodge. i know this is more on personal opnion but i am looking for a good dually rig to build to haul my stuff around. i am only goin to buy a 4x4 dually with a stick shift. what r the weaknesses of each brand from real world ppl. i also want to be in the 400 rwhp range too on either motor. any input? oh yeah i live in wv where there is not much flat ground and i will be pulling 14000 lbs for a light load and up to 20000 lbs heaviest

I'm not sure about the 7.3 but you can't go wrong with a 12V 3500 weakness is the transmission but on the other side you have to take in account 1,500 for a Transmission and it will out last the Ford 10 times over guys getting a 1 million miles or more on a truck and that Cummins just keeps rolling along,

I have a 2000 24 V 3500 and it sounds good quad cab is nice but I have all the electronics to keep up on and that 12 V will make a fool out of my rig pulling 11,000 pounds, Then again my toque converter is almost fried, My pops 97 also has 550,000 miles on it and hes replaced a starter an altinator transmission rebuild thats it,

im biased but how about this as a great tow rig..
2010-12-30102814.jpg

im just trying to get some input before i buy something to build for a tow rig bc when i buy it it is goin to get completely gone thru and fix the weak links that i find as i go.i was just wondering what other ppl have found and have did

7.3 adn 5.9 12 valves are both amazing old motors, owning both at one time or another i would recomend the 7.3 with a 6 speed very impressive puller, they are no hot rods by any means and it take s a TON of money to make big power but decent power and excellent towing is not hard to do. The Ford is an all around better truck IMO, I loved our old 12 Valves one was a 5 spd the other was an auto, neither had any problems before 100k miles really the auto had 3 rebuild by 250k but it was always put back to stock specs (our fault for not upgradeing). The Ford had some front hub breakage 2 time I believe but no big deal.

Ford Dodge or Chevy they are all gonna break if you ask alot of them, but they can all get the job done with the correct mods.

get a 5.9 you will be way happier, now stick it a truck that will hold up you will be happier. Nice conversion dezlfrek

Last edited:
Get a late 90's early 2000 F350 and drop a Cummins in it.

That is your best towing rig out of the options.

I have owned both at the same time. I have towed the exact same load with both at different times. The difference was the old 12v could haul 9k behind it with the cruise set going 70mph. My 7.3, Even though it is a little heavier could haul the same load at 70mph but forget the cruise and my foot was buried in it pretty good. Truth is you really won't know which is better until you have a seat of your pants feel for yourself. Me, I'm not biased either way. I own mine because they are diesel, Not because of brand. They are both a different breed of cat.

i know im late on this one

but having pulled with 7.3s, 12 valves and a CR.. the 12v is a better puller hands down.. trailer wise that is...

chase seems to have the most ideal tow rig posted on here so far, but a swapped superduty is top choice as well..

im just biased to the 96 year model tho..